help with some setup ideas

Billy O'Brien

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2009
New South Wales , Australia
Well as i stated in my last thread im gunna get a 12" x 8" x 6" tank and i was just after some tips on what stuff i need as in what size filters , would it be a good idea to get a uv skimmer , what size heater and the rest and also how long should i age the water before putting fish into the water?

CDickes1988

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Billy O'Brien;2614716; said:
Well as i stated in my last thread im gunna get a 12" x 8" x 6" tank and i was just after some tips on what stuff i need as in what size filters , would it be a good idea to get a uv skimmer , what size heater and the rest and also how long should i age the water before putting fish into the water?
HOB filters should circulate 10x the contents of the tank an hour (eg. 10g tank needs 100 gph hob filter). Heater should be 3-5 watts per gallon. Don't really think you need UV for such a small tank. Also, by aging the water do you mean to get rid of the chlorine? 24 hours, or use a dechlor solution that declorinates instantly. However, you need to cycle the tank first. There are plenty of great articles that take you through the process. I recommend fishless cycling, which you'll need pure ammonia (no surfactants, scents, etc).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store