Hemiarius stormii care????

mybirthdateisfake

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2023
Indonesia
I'm trying to buy a Hemiarius stormii (armored sea catfish) for my 400 gal pond. I want to know how to care for this thing.

1. Feeding: Do I need to get sinking food for this fish? Will it come to the surface to feed? Will it eat live food?

2. Tankmates: I have a GT cichlid, Jag, and Oscar in my pond. Are they alright together?

3. General care: PH? Temperature? etc.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I'm trying to buy a Hemiarius stormii (armored sea catfish) for my 400 gal pond. I want to know how to care for this thing.

1. Feeding: Do I need to get sinking food for this fish? Will it come to the surface to feed? Will it eat live food?

2. Tankmates: I have a GT cichlid, Jag, and Oscar in my pond. Are they alright together?

Fishman Dave Fishman Dave

Reactions: kno4te

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I'm trying to buy a Hemiarius stormii (armored sea catfish) for my 400 gal pond.
***great!

***it should eat anything that fits in its mouth everywhere it finds it.

***so long tank mates do not fit in its mouth, it should leave the alone.

***like Dave I've never kept them, only read the reports of others on the MFK. if you search for stormii, you should find some keepers and their info and perhaps tag them in your thread if you still need more info. There aren't many on the MFK, maybe 2-4.

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
I am on a UK whatsapp group for big fish keepers and a few on the lads have them and rave about them

Seems like they are always active, grow quickly, you need lots of space because of how big they are and they keep them with the full range of aro's bass, rays etc so I suppose its like anything make sure its not too small to be eaten and that nothing in there is potential for a meal for him

Lovely fish, I'd love one

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
IDK how big they grow. If over 1.5ft, I'd say 400 gal is too small because they are like all/most Ariidae catfish are active swimmers.

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
They are like piraiba but slower. They are not aggressive & can't be mixed with aggressive fish. To me they don't grow that quick. Quite slow for a catfish actually. Idk if it just me or not

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store