Herbie overflow without submerged drain lines?

Wiksta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2015
I have a 180 gallon freshwater with a single center overflow box with 2 drain lines. It makes so much noise so I'm planning on doing the Herbie overflow. One issue though, i have a wet dry sump so i can't submerge the drain pipes. Will this still work? Why does the drain line have to be submerged? If it does indeed need to be submerged is there anything i can buy/make to stimulate this and then somehow flow into my wet/dry? Or is there another technique that works better with a wet/dry set up? Thanks in advance!

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Although I've never tested, I think the Herbie can still apply. How far will the drain lines/pipe reach from the sump? You may get splashing if it's too high. Question though, how are your current two drain lines set-up now? Some pictures may help.

Reactions: Wiksta

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I think it has to be submerged in order to grab full siphon. If it isn't, may cause air issues from the bottom. Just thinking out loud here, don't know for sure. I would think if it didn't need it to be submerged everyone would run it on their wet dry, plus the splashing won't eliminate noise. Look up mudbuttjones build thread, he used a simply plastic 3 or 4 tiered drawer set from walmart, and filled the top drawer with water, and had that overflow into the rest of the trickle tower. Without knowing for sure, I would bet that it needs to be submerged for siphon to work properly.

Or modify your wet dry into a sump.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
It does not need to be submerged. That said, most people use a herbie or a bean set up to reduce noise. A herbie style will move a lot of water, by having the end submerged it doesn't splash and make noise, it flows silently into the sump. Having it go over media will make a good amount of noise, hundreds of GPH will be quite loud.

So, it may help some noise up top but you may add more noise down below.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Yup, that was my thinking fishguy, although you articulated if better. But if there are already two drains in the overflow, I'm curious how tall the drain pipes are and how they are being used now and why they are noisy.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
If you run a bean it needs to be submerged but a herbie no. Look at I have seen a bean animal set up on a trickle tower before it is doable but I think it will be more noisy then what you have already. To make a full syphon on your trickle tower just find a Tupperware container that is about 1.5 inch deep and silicone it in your top drawer of your trickle tower and line all around the container with filter floss or cut sponge to fit snug. Submerge the full syphon an inch and your are good to go keeps the splashing contained and the noise down as much as possible. Just my 2 cents

Wiksta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2015
Thanks everyone. I did the herbie without submerging the lines and even with the wet dry it's pretty quiet. 2400 gph pump. Not sure what the actual gph is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store