Hitchhiker snails how do I get rid of them

M3AN ONE

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
Long Island
So I have some hitchhiker snails first question is how do I get rid of them? Second what type of snail is this see below. They are very small but are growing some the size of pin head the others the size of a great seed / kiwi seed. I dont have a pleco maybe that will help or a type of loach. I am afraid to clean my glass as I dont what there shells to scratch it. Im in what you call a bit of a pickle

1707836089673.png

1707836103529.png

Ansorgii

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
South-West-Germany
physella acuta

They are a harmless cleanup, no way you can scratch your glas with theit fragile shells.

Lots of fish and certain crustacions eat them, even other snails.

Is there any need to get rid of them ?

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

M3AN ONE

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
Long Island
I was just thinking without fish eating them they will never stop multiplying my datnoids dont seem too interested. They are the only thing in the tak with tehm Tank is bare bottom so perhaps they are more visible because of that. I also didnt want a mass die off because of life expectancy and for some reason it fouls up the water.

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I have some hitchhiker snails first question is how do I get rid of them? Second what type of snail is this see below. They are very small but are growing some the size of pin head the others the size of a great seed / kiwi seed. I dont have a pleco maybe that will help or a type of loach. I am afraid to clean my glass as I dont what there shells to scratch it. Im in what you call a bit of a pickle

View attachment 1535591

View attachment 1535592
Drop a leaf of lettuce in the aquarium. You may have to do this several times.
Also suck them out with a hose into a bucket and net them out.

M3AN ONE

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
Long Island
Their population is linear to the food the get, and if one dies the other eat it, there is no need to worry about a bloom with fallout like with algae.

They are usually useful, no need to hate them. They clean up what you don't.
That explain why there were 100's in the filter socks. I will leave them tank you for your help! The wholly misunderstood bladder snail. :cry:

Ansorgii

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
South-West-Germany
My fx6 had thousands of them in it everytime opened it, they help breaking down scraps so I always enjoyed that site.

They are an integral part of my current filter-design together with my mexican amphipods, can recommend both, and if they take over look at why.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Large cichlid, loaches and assassin snail will eat pond snails. You can also siphon them off periodically when they crawl out to reduce the population. Pond snail is not as bad as Malaysian trumpet snail as the latter hide in the substrate and one time I had to replace all substrate to eliminawte MTS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store