Holy crap...can you say Salmonelle?

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
Brooklynella;3386649; said:
I think keeping a child away from ....everything....is imposible. Never heard of this theory before.:confused:
The only reason a child should not handle a reptile is to prevent harm to the reptile, not the other way around. Little kids tend to squeeze, poke, drop & throw stuff.
I'm a liittle speechless about your opinion regarding contact with dogs.:confused: Really the only danger a properly trained dog poses to a child is allergies and of course, bites (Which of course is a serious matter).
The child in that picture is in the 8-12 month range, judging by his ability to sit up straight. They aren't all that fragile.:)
All that being said I wouldn't let either of my 2 children (One of whom is 9 months old) sit with or interact with a large boa (Or any other snake). My 4 yr old son has taken quite a liking to my new creamsicle Corn snake and I let him handle it while supervised. Again, i'm more concerned for the snake than my son. I don't feel stupid or irresponsible but I guess you never know.
Back to children for a moment...
The best way to build a child's immune system (Something that happens pretty well all on it's own) is to not try and protect them from ....EVERYTHING...but rather expose them to their environment.;)
A rattle dropped on a carpet poses more of health risk to that kid than that snake's skin, btw.
Oh c´mon do you see any potencial advantage from alowing a so direct contact between a snake and a child so young? The child using the snake as a chewing toy? I dont think so. And yes I know a captive bred boa its probably more safe to be around than most people you see on the street and yes your 4 year old son its completly safe with your corn snake as well, my line of though its just comon sence and also what Ive been teached by my family, my granpa, bless him, was a doctor and my mom allways had in its home dogs, cats and birds, however they had a normal hygene regimen wich included: very young child dont come into direct contact with pets, allways wash your hands and you dont kiss the dogs, thats it and will make the small risks practicly non existent. Oh and a dog must be vacineted and desparazitezed in order to be safe for a child. If Im not in error dogs and cats can transmit nothing less then 12 zoonosis between bacteria, parasites and others. And Im not saing like isolating the child from the world in any means but for example as much healty a reptile may be it can have tiny bits of dirt stuck in the scales, its normal and yes child that young can be fragile to agressive patogens. Some pets are completly harmless others arent. It really has to be a limbo between exposure and non exposure, a equilibrium if you will. Allowing some things and others not

loconorc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2007
Virginny
I think someone went forward in time and took a picture of my future kid :p

jschall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2009
Chico, California
I'm not so worried about that kid getting diseases. I'm more worried about the ability of the snake to kill the child before a caretaker can even get to a bottle of alcohol, if said caretaker even knows to do so. Granted, the caretaker is probably DRINKING the bottle of alcohol, but also probably doesn't know to pour it on the snake's head if it starts eating the kid.

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
I would say that the risk of the snake actualy misidentifying the kid for food at least in that context its low, it is on the open, outside its normal envoiremet and its probably buggen by that, its still a wild animal but the risk should be low, boas have generaly a good temper, at that level that is. That however doesant mean people should give it ANY KIND of chance of any thing bad happening. All in all big epic FAIL

rmorse

Gr8 Stalker
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Great Mills, Maryland
Ummmm......Bump?

rmorse

Gr8 Stalker
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Great Mills, Maryland
iloveoscars702;3443871; said:
wow :WHOA::WHOA::screwy::nilly:
thats one expensive feeder ;)

Nah, they cheap....they just take forever to arrive.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
rmorse;3443807; said:
Ummmm...Bump
Lol,looks like it already swallowed a rattle...whats next?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store