home grown moss

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
Are you referring to a free-floating moss or a species-specific carpeting plant? The latter of the two will require good lighting, a nutrient rich substrate, proper filtration, regular fertilizing, co2 injection (often required w/ high lighting). There are a lot of good carpeting plant options (S. Repens, Dwarf Sag, Dwarf Hairgrass, etc.). As for moss, you could throw some Java Moss in there, tie it to the lower driftwood and wait (and wait, and wait, and wait) for it to eventually take over the lower half of the tank. Again though, this will require decent lighting and regular ferts to happen. Otherwise, the Java Moss will either die off or take years to fill in enough to cover the bottom.

Also, I'd recommend a substrate in your tank.

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
get some x-mas moss and let it take over, you won't regret it.

brandon from philly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2015
Are you referring to a free-floating moss or a species-specific carpeting plant? The latter of the two will require good lighting, a nutrient rich substrate, proper filtration, regular fertilizing, co2 injection (often required w/ high lighting). There are a lot of good carpeting plant options (S. Repens, Dwarf Sag, Dwarf Hairgrass, etc.). As for moss, you could throw some Java Moss in there, tie it to the lower driftwood and wait (and wait, and wait, and wait) for it to eventually take over the lower half of the tank. Again though, this will require decent lighting and regular ferts to happen. Otherwise, the Java Moss will either die off or take years to fill in enough to cover the bottom.

Also, I'd recommend a substrate in your tank.
I looked up the carpet plants an feel in love with the s repens

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
S repens are fun, they don't require c02 and look amazing. I'm currently growing out a bunch of x-mas moss and S repens in a 20 Long and it's starting to take over, minus some yellowing issues.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I have no idea the of the variety. 6 months old and growing strong.View attachment 1151926 20151128_150754.jpg
It took 3 years of growing on a sheet of plywood. I tried a couple varieties. This was the only one that's amphibious. Grows in Iowa. 33 plus inches of rain.
On the shady side. No direct sunlight.

Reactions: brandon from philly
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store