Home made turtle food ?

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
I have a AST and was thinking of making him food fish, shrimp, earth worms a whole bunch of stuff mixed up and made into jello. Anyway should I add some veggies? If so what kind?

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
I have a AST and was thinking of making him food fish, shrimp, earth worms a whole bunch of stuff mixed up and made into jello. Anyway should I add some veggies? If so what kind?
I'd skip the earthworms and keep it mostly shrimp, tilapia/bluegill, silversides, etc. Beefheart may be good as well. I've never tried making a mixture for my AST so I don't know if he'll take to veggies or not, but if it's mixed in with his regular food you probably have a better chance of success. You may want to add a vitamin/calcium supplement like Herptivite too.

Reactions: tlindsey and Jag586

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
I believe King of DIY on Youtube has a video or two on making homemade fish food... You might not want to use the same mixture as him but it could give you some ideas as far as packaging and storage.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Yea I got the idea off the diy king his video where he did it with the gelatin. But yea was going to add some powered calcium in it just trying to get a good mix of food for him didn't know if he at veggies in the wild. I read they do but I wanted your guys advice

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
Yea I got the idea off the diy king his video where he did it with the gelatin. But yea was going to add some powered calcium in it just trying to get a good mix of food for him didn't know if he at veggies in the wild. I read they do but I wanted your guys advice
Supposedly they do eat veggies in the wild but mine has never eaten veggies alone. Like I said if you mixed some veggies into the meaty stuff he'd probably be more likely to take it, but as to how much or what kind of veggies you should use I'm not sure.
Truthfully, AST are a lot more carnivorous than CST, and although veggies are recommended in their diet, I don't think they're required. They seem to do fine without them but that's just my experience
Some AST care sheets you find online are a bit unreliable... I think AST have only become popular recently, so a lot of the care sheets are either outdated, or were written when less was known about keeping them in captivity. I suspect that's why a lot of care sheets for AST are really similar to the ones for CST... they didn't know much about AST, so they just assumed care requirements were the same, when in reality they're very different.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store