Homemade Saltwater Fishing Jigs?

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Does anyone have any information about making homemade tuna/rockfish jigs? Anything helps.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Does anyone have any information about making homemade tuna/rockfish jigs? Anything helps.
wednesday13 wednesday13 makes his own lures,
good ones too. Maybe he can give you some pointers.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Any pics of what ur trying to make? U might be able to mold/cast an existing lure pretty easily to get ur feet wet. Many places offer blanks to be painted as well. All depends on what ur trying to do and how far u want to go with it. Many different techniques involved in lure making.

Reactions: kno4te

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
9797E20B-B38C-4DD1-B580-C0CF96542F8E.jpeg
If these are in the ballpark of what ur trying to make there probably made with lead. You could make them with resin and weight it also. Either way ud need a mold to pour either lead or resin into. They make cheaper “hobby” type kits of silicone to mold with. They also probably sell pre made molds for this type of thing. Lead is pretty easy to work with. Can get by with a small hand cup/ladel and a blow torch.
Check out “lurepartsonline.com” i get alot there to build with. Sign up for a catalog.. Terminal tackle, wire, etc….at the least its a good place to get stuff to “try” before u know what u really need in bulk and can get cheaper else where.

Reactions: kno4te

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Dont know much about tuna rigs other than what ive seen on charters and wicked tuna.

For rockfish i usually use an appropriate size bucktail with about 2' flourocarbon leader on barrel swivels. I'll dress the bucktail with different baits, whatevers working best at the time, usually cut mullet, squid, or eel if they can be found. Ill use a long, stout pole and the biggest spinner i can find to simply snatch, muscle and tow the fish out of the water, not much finesse involved in my game.

Some people use a spoon with their bucktail but i find it attracts a lot of trash fish/bluefish.

I dont know a lot about trolling for striper but from what ive seen they'll rig with bucktails in about the same style ive described.

I really need to get out for some fishing. Sounds like fun.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
For rockfish I typically use jugs ballparking from 200-350grams however I do have a couple reaching up to 500grams. wednesday13 wednesday13 yes those are the jigs I’m interested in making.

I’ve done research and tire weights are apparently good for the metal base, however led is another option. I think led would probably have to be cut with something like steel powder or something. I also found a high-temp silicon that can be used to mold jigs I have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store