How bad of idea is it?

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I was offered as many albino Burmese pythons as I want by a friend of mine. How big would they get before they start requiring rabbits as a primary food source?

Also what could I sell them for?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I was offered as many albino Burmese pythons as I want by a friend of mine. How big would they get before they start requiring rabbits as a primary food source?

Frank Castle Frank Castle

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia

My male took guinea pigs and giant rats up to around 9.5 feet, my smaller female got her 1st rabbit around the same size, and the 16 foot, 200lb+ female I had took two 20lb. rabbits once a month......so I would say anywhere in the 10-12 foot range. As far as selling them, A.) chances of them ending up with responsible owners are 50/50,,...B.) IDK the market in Iowa (?) C.) IF there is a demand for them (and they're legal), you'd be looking anywhere between $75 - $150 each.....

Frank Castle Frank Castle
HAHAAA!!!! I beat you!!! I just finished my post and saw the alert lolol

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My male took guinea pigs and giant rats up to around 9.5 feet, my smaller female got her 1st rabbit around the same size, and the 16 foot, 200lb+ female I had took two 20lb. rabbits once a month......so I would say anywhere in the 10-12 foot range. As far as selling them, A.) cahnces of them ending up with responsible owners are 50/50,,...B.) IDK the market in Iowa (?) C.) IIF there is a demand for them (and they're legal), you'd be looking anywhere between $75 - $150 each.....

Aww Man lol :)

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
My male took guinea pigs and giant rats up to around 9.5 feet, my smaller female got her 1st rabbit around the same size, and the 16 foot, 200lb+ female I had took two 20lb. rabbits once a month......so I would say anywhere in the 10-12 foot range. As far as selling them, A.) chances of them ending up with responsible owners are 50/50,,...B.) IDK the market in Iowa (?) C.) IF there is a demand for them (and they're legal), you'd be looking anywhere between $75 - $150 each.....

I think I'll pass on them if it's going to cost $20 bucks a meal for a snake. I'd rather eat well than have a snake that's just going to be a pain in the butt to feed and rehome if ever needed. But they're legal and the guy who's offering me them is a breeder who got overwhelmed with the care of his collection and the upkeep of his pet store.

Want another one?

Last edited:

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I think I'll pass on them if it's going to cost $20 bucks a meal for a snake. I'd rather eat well than have a snake that's just going to be a pain in the butt to feed and rehome if ever needed. But they're legal and the guy who's offering me them is a breeder who got overwhelmed with the care of his collection and the upkeep of his pet store.

Want another one?
NO.

lol no thank you. I'm STILL working on selling the last 17-18 snakes of my 100+ collection from last June.....almost ALL of them are Boas and Pythons

You could feed them mice for the 1st year or so, but believe it or not, Burmese, Reticulated, and African Rock Python growth rate is 6-8 feet per year for the 1st two years. Yup, a 14 foot, 2-year old is pretty common with these guys. Even in year 3, it's still 12"-18" per year until they start to hit their "max" size then it slows down FINALLY.

If it was legal, my partner would buy every single one of them off you cuz they FLY off the table at our Expos, but you're not allowed to cross state lines with them in any shape or form in PA, and probably MOST states nowadays, so that wouldn't be an option, sadly.

If you can sell them in your state, you COULD make a lot of money off them, but I have a feeling if the breeder is offering them for FREE to you, it likely means the market is bad out there for them. Target larger cities at best case scenario. T Thekid

Last edited:

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
If you can sell them in your state, you COULD make a lot of money off them, but I have a feeling if the breeder is offering them for FREE to you, it likely means the market is bad out there for them. Target larger cities at best case scenario. T Thekid
My uncle has been friends with the guy for a long time and the guy offering me them was the guy who helped my uncle get back on his feet after his house got struck by lightning. He lost 300 jungle Pythons he had ready for sale not to mention all the breeders and other projects he had going on. As much as I want to help him out I think the freezer might be the best option for these little guys.

Last edited:

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
My uncle has been friends with the guy for a long time and the guy offering me them was the guy who helped my uncle get back on his feet after his house got struck by lightning. He lost 30" jungle Pythons he had ready for sale not to mention all the breeders and other projects he had going on. As much as I want to help him out I think the freezer might be the best option for these little guys.
oh no, definitely not........don't kill them, do SOMETHING with them. Someone ALWAYS comes along looking for Albino Burms......

.......and it will probably happen after you guys decide to "get rid" of them. Always does.

Reactions: MHDevelopments

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
oh no, definitely not........don't kill them, do SOMETHING with them. Someone ALWAYS comes along looking for Albino Burms......

.......and it will probably happen after you guys decide to "get rid" of them. Always does.
That's true. I'll probably just put up an ad on fauna classifieds and go from there.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
That's true. I'll probably just put up an ad on fauna classifieds and go from there.
You can go to Expos and buy "feeder" rabbits and chickens and guinea pigs for $3-$8. You can also buy prekilled , frozen packs of mice for around $30 for 50ct.

Train everything to eat frozen-thawed and once you do, never go back to live prey.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store