How big do p-bass get in captivity? Are they good with other tankmates??

CentralMayhem

MONSTER FISH EATER
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, California
dont you think thats because NOONE really keeps them in truly monster tanks where they could reach these sizes. in theory you should be able to grow one just as large if not larger than a wild one if housed in a system where it is allowed to fully develop?? all 4 or 5 of the ones they had at Steinhart Aquarium were huge!!!! i heard they even had some monsterous dovii that they had gotten rid of before i went there that were over 24" and theyd only been on exhibit for about 2/3rds of their natural lifespan. so not even fully grown. i know we can not have these size tanks in our houses, i was just saying that FULL GROWN you wouldnt fit one in a 300....people have dovii and umbees that live in 600 gallon tanks that get monsterous, so a peacock should be able to as well. i also saw some midas and devils and blackbelts at the aquarium with the largest ones being 16"+...no lie either. so yes you can keep them in home aquariums, but a FULLY GROWN monster one would fill a 300 up..... :thumbsup:

PeacockBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2005
arapaimag said:
I don't think you will have a problem. The fish will probably never max out. There are 5 recognized species. Only 1 (Cichla temensis) is a real tank buster and actually gets bigger than 30 inches in the wild.

Most the people I know have never had them in a tank even as big as 300 gallons.

Do Lots of water changes and don't crowd the tank and you should be fine.

Incorrect. Cichla Orinocensis can also get over 30 inches.

CentralMayhem

MONSTER FISH EATER
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, California
no doubt!!!! and 30" is TRULY HUGE in case you guys have never really seen an actual 30" fish. that is what they call a MONSTER fish. not too many of us on this forum have tanks large enough to PROPERLY house one of these guys

Richie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2005
London, England
Monoculus so not get over 30" and I have never seen one in the wild even 2ft, aound 18" to the 20" mark. This wasn't an overfished area as I caught temensis to 30" and above. This was in amazonia not florida btw!

CentralMayhem

MONSTER FISH EATER
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, California
ok, well so you can keep a monoculus, but i was just stating the fact that PB's get HUGE!!! 18 to 20" is still a HUGE fish!!!!!! and what does being in amazonia and not florida have to do with it. they can get huge in either area. i think the monoculus is the best one in my opinion anyways, but i was just trying to tell the guy who started this thread that they get HUGE!!!!!!! do you disagree with me or something. im not trying to say you CANT keep them becauise they get too big, i was trying to tell him a FULL GROWN peacock bass is still too BIG for a 300!! key words " FULL GROWN"

mauls

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
Kansas City, Missouri
I know this isn't in captivity, but this is the biggest one i've seen. Its gotta be close to 4ft, just compare it to the body size of the guy holding it.

toxicfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan
mauls said:
I know this isn't in captivity, but this is the biggest one i've seen. Its gotta be close to 4ft, just compare it to the body size of the guy holding it.
that is one big mutha fuggin bass:D thanx for the pic

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store