Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

How big to dwarf lily plants really get?

Discussion in 'Planted Tank and Aquascaping' started by Pyramid_Party, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Pyramid_Party

Pyramid_Party MFK Members

Jul 25, 2015
      Hi,

I have a few of these plants. All are pretty short and compact. The tallest being like no more than 6 inches tall. They are more wide than tall. Maybe has something to do with my lighting. Anyway, I hear these lillies get tall like over 12 inch but these aren't growing tall. Again, this might be due to my lighting and the amount of C02 they get. I got these lily bulbs at walmart, if anyone if familiar with these packages. Could anyone shed some light on this? I was thinking of moving one over to my 10 gallon. Thanks

2. bigbadfish711

bigbadfish711 MFK Members

Meaty
      Apr 21, 2014
      If you have what my friend got from petsmart in a pack. Then you have Tiger lotus. These will grow to the water surface. And yes good lighting good ferts and some co2 will aid in big healthy plants.
      Is this what the plant looks like? If not then please post a pic of it if you can.

Nymphaea_lotus.jpg

3. Pyramid_Party

Jul 25, 2015
      I'm not sure. I know there is a few species, so here is a pic of mine:

DIGI0407.JPG

4. bigbadfish711

Meaty
      Apr 21, 2014
      Yeah thats not Tiger Lotus but Dwarf lily (Nuphar stellata ). These guys can be slow growers. They do not require high light but grow much more slowly and compact when give lower light. They will grow until the lily pads reach the water surface. They ares till a cool plant to have, and your looks like its doing just great. Here are some links if you wish to know more.

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Plant,%20Dwarf%20Lily.htm

http://tropicalfishgallery.com/species-gallery/plants/Nuphar_stellata.html

5. Pyramid_Party

Jul 25, 2015
      Yeah the biggest one has sent a few shoots to the surface. I left them for a little bit and then cut them. It threw a few more shoots later on and I cut those too. The smaller ones have never sent any shoots out. So what would be approx max size on these guys?

6. bigbadfish711

Meaty
      Apr 21, 2014
      Unless you do not want to have the lily pad on top of the water then there would be no need to cut it off unless you do not want it blocking out the light. If left at the water surface it will bloom a small flower. Here is the thing. The leafs will get to an average size. Maybe the size of the palm of my hand or a little bigger. The stems will grow to the surface of the water. If you have a small 10 gallon or a 110 tall. The steams will still grow to the waters surface.

7. Pyramid_Party

Jul 25, 2015
      Yeah I cut the pads up at the top so they wouldn't block light. So you are saying these will only grow to the surface of a tank?

Example: 10 gallon is 12 inch high, so it will only grow to the top of that? Another example, this same plant in a 29 gallon that is 18 inch high, this plant grows to the top?

8. bigbadfish711

Meaty
      Apr 21, 2014
      Yeah the plant will grow all the way to the top of the water.

9. Pyramid_Party

Jul 25, 2015
      Cool thanks. I am gonna add one to my 10 gallon.

10. bigbadfish711

Meaty
      Apr 21, 2014
      Your welcome. I do not have any of these right now, but I am going to go gets some tomorrow. Thanks