How can I setup my tank so it's not a burden on my parents when I go to collage?

catfishguy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
moon
Hey guys, I was wondering what I can do so all my family has to do when I go off to collage is feed the fish? ie auto water changes and plants. Currently I have a sump and protein skimmer and I am working on planting the crap out of the main tank. What else can I do to make it as maintenance free as possible.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
I'm not trying to be a prick, but if no one can dedicate anymore time than dropping some food in there, I'd drain the tank and put it in the garage. How long would it be between your visits home?

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
What size tank? Whats the stock?

catfishguy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
moon
Frankly, I don't know how much I would get home this is all a few years in the future, they are able to clean out sponges and do basic things but my main concern is vacuuming out the gravel. They say that they will take care of it but I just want everything as easy to take care of as possible so when they do forget to clean something there isn't a catastrophe. The tank is 240 gallons stacked with oscars goldfish catfish and a fire eel.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
If you go bare bottom you can add wavemakers to keep debris in the water column and the filter gets it.

catfishguy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
moon
Unfortunately that is no longer an option due to the fact the tank is now planted, not to mention all the tanks smaller residence (coolie loach and some smaller ciclids) would suffer from the loss of hiding spaces. If I just had plants all over would they just absorb all the poop and food that gets trapped in the substrate in the first place?

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Well I'd take it down if they cant fully take care of it if that makes sense. Just simpler and easier for everyone. Your parents dont have to worry about taking care of it, you dont have to stress about if they're taking care of it and also fish will be in good home. If you throw up an add on craigslist willing to give fish to good homes, I'm sure you'll find some dedicated hobbyist to take care of your fish,

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Ok...just trying to give a constructive reply...

1) a 240 gallon with oscars, a fire eel, etc. is only NOT going to be a burden to people who love to take care of fish tanks. Especially over a span of time you stated ("years".) Once a fish illness pops up, the eel jumps out, the electricity goes out, a leak starts, a pump stops, a parent gets the flu, or they get a desire to take a vacation, along with many other things, it becomes a burden. Just changing water will be a burden if they have a long work week or pull a muscle.

2) if you want to keep the tank and to reduce the burden, then change the species and choose some small very undemanding community fish. Keep it very under stocked. They will then be more able to go on vacations, suffer through outages, do small water changes, skip water changes and not sweat over getting the flu, pulling a muscle or working late. Even a dead fish caught in the corner and missed will not be a disaster. It will still require maintenance however and nothing will stop that.

Taking it down is however the best way to ensure that it's not a burden.

Last edited:

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
In your dorm room
I'm a parent

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store