Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

How Do You Know if a Fish is Really Wild Caught?

Discussion in 'General Aquaria Discussion' started by asm129, Feb 11, 2010.

1. asm129

asm129 MFK Members

May 23, 2015
      I see many sellers advertising fish that are wild caught (WC).
      How do you know if they're really wild caught? Do you just have to trust the seller?
      It seems like there's an incentive for a seller to say it's WC to get a higher price, but there's no real way of
      knowing that it's true.

2. bud

bud MFK Members

Sep 25, 2013
      W/c are not more than the others as a whole for the same size animal

3. screaminleeman

screaminleeman MFK Members

Yesterday at 1:53 PM
      I reel them in or rake them up and know first hand! I have had loads of joy watching Crayfish and Bluegill grow from fry's to juviniles catching them from my farm pond and raising them in aquarium. I am unfortunately guilty of on a rare occasion haveing a bluegill juvinile with such incredible colors that I could not bear to use it a feeders and commit the cardinal sin of returning it to the farm pond.

I have always treated these "wild caught" fish for parasites whether they are to be used as feeders or returned to the farm pond as breeding stock!

4. fishy12

fishy12 MFK Members

Mar 25, 2015
      Its fins cld have been torn up but this cld also happen in tanks

5. bob965

bob965 MFK Members

Jul 15, 2012
      I tell my customers certain fish are wild so I can charge them more. But they're not wild-caught, I just mean that they act wild, as in wild-and-crazy, so I'm not really lying.

6. zerojquan85

zerojquan85 MFK Members

Jan 17, 2014
      WC is really based on how much experience you have with the various types of fish.... but understand that some of the rare fish... can only be caught in the wild...

Example.. wolf fish, payara, exotic peacock bass, exotic plecos, datnoids, Gars.. These are just a few examples of fish in the trade where its actually hard to breeding in a local aquarium.. and catching them in the wild is might more profitable..

As times go on... the more fish you come across you'll realize that certain fish are wild caught.. while others are farm breed.. It really just takes experience..

7. CTU2fan

CTU2fan MFK Members

Mar 16, 2015
      If you caught it yourself you know it's wild caught, otherwise you have to just trust the seller.

8. DDFishPets

DDFishPets MFK Members

Dec 26, 2010
      Well, some of the fish either show colors, that they would only have as a wild vs farmed, or they're ultra-sensitive to certain things. Like Tropheus not being able to eat meat essentially or Wild Clown Fish not easily being able to stand aquariums under 10 gallons whereas their counterparts, can eat meat fine or live in a 1/2 gallon jar respectively.

9. Snowflake311

Snowflake311 MFK Members

May 26, 2015
      I have one. It's an unclassified rubbernose pleco. There are some fish that are almost always wild caught many fancy plecos are wild. Otts tend to be wild. Because some fish just do not breed well in aquariums or are rare. so these fish are harvested from the wild.

Of yeah almost all saltwater fish are wild. Only a few are now being bred in aquariums.

10. k0y0te

k0y0te MFK Members

Aug 10, 2014

umm that consider false advertisement...lol. :banhim: