Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

How fast to Pacu Grow??

Discussion in 'Other Characins' started by Mysticshadows3, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Mysticshadows3

Mysticshadows3 MFK Members

Sep 6, 2010
      I need to know how fast my Pacu will grow, because I need to know how fast I will need to get the money together to buy a 300 gallon. It is 3 inches and is a 90 gallon - I can get the money around late 2009 or early 2010 - will I be okay until then???? PLEASE say yes.

and don't harp on me that I should have everything in set before a buy a fish that will grow big - that will make me very sad...like I am a bad parent :(

2. Peanut_Power

Peanut_Power Running From The Hammer...
      Staff Member

May 23, 2015
      Confused about which part of this thread has to do with Cichlids, so moved it to this forum for more 'refined' answers! ;)

Generally you want to buy the tank FIRST, then the fish. Don't put it off, get it ASAP. The pacu should be alright in the for six to eight months, MAYBE. You won't have much more time after that.

Not a bad parent per say, impatient perhaps...

3. frontosablkrhom

frontosablkrhom MFK Members

Tony baby!
      May 6, 2013
      itll grow like an inch a month maybe more and itll out grow you tank in like 8 months so ou should be good till then, what made you decide to buy a pacu then dedicate 300 gallons to him? id bring the pacu back and get a couple arowanas when you get your 300.

4. Mysticshadows3

Sep 6, 2010
      Oh, well I was going to get a 300 anyway - and I have always loved Pacu...what is everybody's deal?? Does nobody think that they are absolutely adorable?? I thinks they are!!

5. Peanut_Power

Staff Member

May 23, 2015
      They are great fish when they are housed properly! They look better in groups too...;)

The main problem is a lot of people get fish that are outside of their means with plans of upgrading to larger tanks in the future. Most of the time this is done with the best of intentions, but in most cases only rarely becomes a reality.

Thats why its best to have the tank FIRST, then buy the fish for it. Saves you a lot of headache, and you owe it to the fish that you will be keeping as well. They have no choice as to where they are going to live the rest of their life or what conditions they will be in. Its your responsibility as a hobbyist to make sure you can provide the most optimal conditions possible.

6. Mysticshadows3

Sep 6, 2010
      I'll show you photos of my new tank so you can sleep at night.

7. Peanut_Power

Staff Member

May 23, 2015
      There better be an MFK sticker on it or it might make me have nightmares...;)

8. arkmann

arkmann MFK Members

Apr 23, 2015
      It grows hella fast. It outgrew my 55 gallon in 6 months when I first got it at 1.5" It also eats absolutely anything that I fed it.

Better get that 300 first just like what peanut said.

9. gthiele

gthiele MFK Members

Nov 12, 2008
      earn money quicker

10. dragonfish

dragonfish MFK Members

Bite me
      Jul 30, 2014
      Mine grew two inches a month til 12 inches and has slowed to an inch a month now. Will eat or try to eat anything that fits in its mouth.