How I clean Eheim 2217 Filter

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
Thanks for the write up, can I add that you really should rinse and clean everything not using tap water but used tank water instead, and to keep bio media submerged as much as possible during maintenace.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Thanks for the compliments everyone. I've seen so many questions regarding how to clean Classic filters & which parts are which, so I thought this would be helpful.

JustinChase, Welcome to MFK! There are a lot of great people here that are willing to answer your questions. You should be fine with the filter cleaning as long as you alternate cleaning them.

Zerojquan85, the 2213 comes with an insert that holds the media. The 2215 & 2217 do not. The disadvantage to using media bags is that they will allow some 'bypass' around the bag as it is difficult to conform to the shape of the canister. I ONLY use the media bag for my bio-media. BTW, you can now purchase lattice screens for the 2213 if you want to eliminate the insert. People that have done this have noticed an increase in the output flow. Hope this helps.:)

Yanbbrox, it is always an excellent idea to keep the bio-media submerged in tank water when servicing your filter, step #9. I have well water with no chlorine or chloramine but sometimes I do forget to note this when I respond to a question. As for the mechanical media/pads, they can always be rinsed in a dechlor product solution after cleaning with city tap water.

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
cool thanks.. i actually bought the canister container.. which is doing a great job and performs much better than my 2234.. but i gotta say.. your description is very detail.. good post! :)

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Whoa!:WHOA:
You mean youre supposed to clean those things?!!
Great write up!
I did leave the sponges out of mine,filled it with scrubbies and ceramic noodles,prefilter with a hydro 3 sponge.I plan to clean it about every 2 years lol:naughty:

johnnycoolxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
Grandma's Basement
I was just wondering if it's a bad idea to clean the filter at the same time you do a water change. Will that kill all the good bacteria in the fish tank? I've had my eheim 2217 for 6 months and haven't cleaned it yet. Just wanted to make sure I don't kill all the good bacteria.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
You can clean it during the waterchange,use the tank water to rinse out the sponges with.I just cleaned my 2217 for the first time.16 months since I set it up.The prefilter works great,I clean that weekly.

bomber

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
the Office living in the now...
Great post.. I would like to share my routine one day also.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
So why are you trying to maintain bio in your mechanical pad and killing off the bio on your ceramic rings? The bio is supposed to live in the rings, not the pad. Your pad will stay cleaner longer if you train your bacteria onto the actual biological media.

Josh the Happy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
SC
Awesome, thanks! I'm just about to order one of these, and i really appreciate the detailed teardown.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store