How long for ARTC?

cenecker

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Eternal, Impenetrable Darkness
Thats odd...I kinda wondered if something was up with him. He's in a 125 that I do weekly 70%-80% waterchanges on. The parameters are all good (ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nirate always <20). He eats omega one shrimp pellets, krill, and other assorted seafood (shrimp, squid, etc.) about 2-3 times a week....any ideas why he isn't growing?

Sturgeon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
last house on the left
cenecker;1218210; said:
Thats odd...I kinda wondered if something was up with him. He's in a 125 that I do weekly 70%-80% waterchanges on. The parameters are all good (ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nirate always <20). He eats omega one shrimp pellets, krill, and other assorted seafood (shrimp, squid, etc.) about 2-3 times a week....any ideas why he isn't growing?
70-80% is a big waterchange! good to see you takin care of that beast. with a 125 he should have no problem growing to 15" or so. My ARTC loves beefheart, its SF bay brand. Whenever we got hamburg thawing out, I will pinch off a half inch ball or 2 and drop raw hamburg in, which gets eaten quickly. Hikari sinking pellets or foodsticks are a great high protein staple diet, and once or twice a week crush up some algae wafers and drop them in. Whenever I'm home, I ALWAYS feed once a day, before i go to sleep. usually less than 10 pellets. or I mix it up, substitute for beefheart, or pellets and algae.
If you want to grow it out some more, feed it every night, and check in the morning to see if theres anything left over. if so, you have overfed and should cut back the next night. Once they get a foot or so, feed it once or twice a week but feed it larger amounts
hope this helps

Sturgeon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
last house on the left
Exactly what I was thinking, bruce. Thats alot of water to switch every week for just one kitty

cenecker

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Eternal, Impenetrable Darkness
Yeah he's not alone! He shares the tank with a jardini, red snook, and JD. The W/C is probably still overkill, I mean seriously the tank barely ever even registers any nitrates, but I do my water changes with a water pump and a hose so a 80% change takes the same effort as a 25% change so.....why not?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store