How long till mealworms turn into a beetle?

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
FSM;2452217; said:
Are you trying to breed them or keep them from turning into beetles? (pupating, I think its called)

not breeding, just want them for food, but want to know how long I have before they change.

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
Put them in a container with some rolled oats (plain oatmeal) and set them outside somewhere...it's cold enough at night to keep them from pupating...that's if they are indeed mealworms...

Superworms are a different animal all together, they'll die if they get too cold (like the fridge)...

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
andyjs;2451138; said:
I wondered about that...

I used to keep frozen pinks in the back of the freezer for my geckos. My mom wasn't happy when she found them...lol
GROSS bro........Gross.........

I buy meal worms every week, 2 dozen or so....Normally it'll be gone within 2-3 days....But I keep them fed in a retired tarantula terrarium....

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
I just got 50 mealworms for $1.50 and they are suppose to be small mealworms. But all are about an inch and a little over. I fed 2 of them so far to my fish. Cut the heads off, then cut 1 of the worms in half. Tossed those 2 piece in for the small cichlids and then gave the other whole one to my BGK. They loved it! The BGK powered down the mealworm, then was bobbing his head out of his cave looking for more. Their dinner isnt for another 5 hours or so. So thats when they will get more.

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
It will take a few weeks if you add water to the meal there in i'm pretty sure it helps them morph faster

Pretty sure you can still feed the beetles to lizards and stuff

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
I cut the heads off for safety. I know alot of people say it wont do anything to your fish, I still do it just in case.

I also dont know if I can use all 50 worms before they change to beetles. I only got fish to feed them to. I may put some outside on top of my back wall to let birds get them.

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
Pyramid_Party;2454569; said:
I cut the heads off for safety. I know alot of people say it wont do anything to your fish, I still do it just in case.

I also dont know if I can use all 50 worms before they change to beetles. I only got fish to feed them to. I may put some outside on top of my back wall to let birds get them.
No need to cut off the heads, I have never had a problem, and in nature, they come with heads...

If you store them in oatmeal you can set them in a cool spot and they'll be good for a month or better...I have ordered them in 1000 count boxes and stored them that way, and they kept for over a month without turning into beatles...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store