How long to starve out a datnoid?

Randall_Vee

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2016
Hey guys,

I know the title sounds harsh but I got a 3" Dat from a lfs; they told me it was a gold dat which did me no help but I got him on 9/16 and I he has eaten almost nothing while I've had him. I got him to take a pellet twice but other than that he's pretty much eaten nothing - the occasional nip at a piece of bloodworm floating in the water but nothing else. He's currently in a 40 gallon with 3 blood parrots that are roughly the same size. Parameters are good and water temp is 78 - the tank has some drift wood inside of it.

So I guess what I am getting at is how much longer should I attempt to starve him out? Or should I just cave and give him feeders?

Thanks guys!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
No feeders!......if it so much as tasted those pellets then I would keep offering them until it is taking them normally.If you give in and offer it feeders then it will be that much harder and take longer for it to accept pellets.

Randall_Vee

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2016
Thanks Krichardson; I just dont want to eff this up because A) this is a fish I've wanted to keep since I was a teen and B) my gf actually got him for me.

I was hoping the fact that the pack of parrots I have would motivate him to eat but he just looks at them. Hopefully he gets with the program soon!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Glad to be of any help.It may take a few weeks for the dat to really feel comfortable with the other fish in the tank before it starts to eat but don't give in as they can go a long time without eating.Post a photo of your dat we so that we can properly identify it for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

Randall_Vee

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2016
I figured I'd give a little bit of an update with a video. He still isn't eating but seems to be getting more comfortable.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Please don't take to long to upgrade and if you wait to long you risk the Ornate to possibly trying to eat one of the Cory cats and getting choked to death by the spines of the catfish.

Reactions: krichardson

eeJamBOYan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
South East Asia
As much as it might hurt you seeing your Dat not eating anything else yet, never give in and resort to feeders.
I agree with krichardson on what he said. Just keep on letting them see those pellets; one at a time dropped into the tank and observe how they react to that.
Over time, they should understand that those pellets are food after observing those parrots.

At least they are having bloodworms for now..

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I did not play the video but it looks like tou have an indo dat.

Randall_Vee

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2016
Thanks guys - im working out getting a 125 sometime in the next 6 months or so; my dad was actually really liking my parrots so I may end up giving them to him. The little guy still isnt eating but he is hanging in there. Hopefully he'll be snatching shrimp off the surface with the others soon!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store