How many tanks do you have

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
3 tanks running-310g US native predator tank; 150g African/Asian predator tank; 55g US native stream tank.

and about a dozen empties all over the house.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
3 tanks running-310g US native predator tank; 150g African/Asian predator tank; 55g US native stream tank.

and about a dozen empties all over the house.
Pix or it didn't happen :p What's the main difference between the 310 and the 55 besides the obvious size? Is the 55g "Stream" like certain species that can ONLY be found in pristine limestone runs or something as opposed to the 310 is just anything big from PA that eats other animals? Or is the 55g just peaceful community PA natives?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Pix or it didn't happen :p What's the main difference between the 310 and the 55 besides the obvious size? Is the 55g "Stream" like certain species that can ONLY be found in pristine limestone runs or something as opposed to the 310 is just anything big from PA that eats other animals? Or is the 55g just peaceful community PA natives?
the 310 has crappie, pumpkinseeds, a coosae bass, 2 grass pickerel, a channel cat and a yellow bullhead. The stream tank is as of right now mainly darters, sculpin, some dace, a creek chub, and what I thought was a madtom due to the area I netted it in but as it grows I'm starting to think its a yellow bullhead.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
the 310 has crappie, pumpkinseeds, a coosae bass, 2 grass pickerel, a channel cat and a yellow bullhead. The stream tank is as of right now mainly darters, sculpin, some dace, a creek chub, and what I thought was a madtom due to the area I netted it in but as it grows I'm starting to think its a yellow bullhead.
I keep Chubs from time-to-time lol actually got a dozen in my "live-well" atm, they are social, you should get more, like 1/2-dozen or so....they will take a liking to other Cyprinids and Suckers as well, but Sunfish tend to kill them unfortunately, IME....especially Greens

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I keep Chubs from time-to-time lol actually got a dozen in my "live-well" atm, they are social, you should get more, like 1/2-dozen or so....they will take a liking to other Cyprinids and Suckers as well, but Sunfish tend to kill them unfortunately, IME....especially Greens
Ya he was unintentional unfortunately. I was dip netting for dace and minnow, and he came up along with about 12 blacknose dace so I didn't know he was a chub until a month later when he was double the size of everything in the tank lol. He's going to be moving to the big boys tank in a bit. I had a trio in my 310 for a while, they were great cleaners lol, unfortunately they got froggy one day and all jumped.

I was some suckers for my 310....unfortunately every creek I dip or fish around here I never come up with any...I know they are there just can't find them.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Ya he was unintentional unfortunately. I was dip netting for dace and minnow, and he came up along with about 12 blacknose dace so I didn't know he was a chub until a month later when he was double the size of everything in the tank lol. He's going to be moving to the big boys tank in a bit. I had a trio in my 310 for a while, they were great cleaners lol, unfortunately they got froggy one day and all jumped.

I was some suckers for my 310....unfortunately every creek I dip or fish around here I never come up with any...I know they are there just can't find them.
fairly easy to catch on worms w/ a tiny hook, maybe #14 or so, I tend to get them in the wire minnow-traps. I use rod and reel to catch larger baitfish, but the minnow trap left overnight or so usually gets smaller stuff and different species than the usual sunfish, chubs, fallfish, suckers I catch on rod and reel. It's fun on UL tackle, or you even try the little ice fishing rods.....u can grab a bantam-weight rod and reel at WAL-MART for less than $20, arm yourself with some 1 or 2lb test, you'd be a force lol Monsterfish beware

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
fairly easy to catch on worms w/ a tiny hook, maybe #14 or so, I tend to get them in the wire minnow-traps. I use rod and reel to catch larger baitfish, but the minnow trap left overnight or so usually gets smaller stuff and different species than the usual sunfish, chubs, fallfish, suckers I catch on rod and reel. It's fun on UL tackle, or you even try the little ice fishing rods.....u can grab a bantam-weight rod and reel at WAL-MART for less than $20, arm yourself with some 1 or 2lb test, you'd be a force lol Monsterfish beware
ya in theory suckers are easy to catch lol, honestly though I NEVER catch them. I'm more likely to hook a rainbow trout than a sucker were I fish. I've only ever netted them in one place and its down by my buddy's house. Caught probably 10-15 whites and a few redhorses, never catch them in my local lol

I was never one for UL fishing lol, lightest setup I have is a pflueger spinning reel on a 5' ugly stik with 4lb lol.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
ya in theory suckers are easy to catch lol, honestly though I NEVER catch them. I'm more likely to hook a rainbow trout than a sucker were I fish. I've only ever netted them in one place and its down by my buddy's house. Caught probably 10-15 whites and a few redhorses, never catch them in my local lol

I was never one for UL fishing lol, lightest setup I have is a pflueger spinning reel on a 5' ugly stik with 4lb lol.
that's UL......6lb is light, but you can put 6lb on a UL. You can find suckers anywhere trout congregate. Suckers and Trout go hand-in-hand.

My main trout set-up is the same, 5" Lightning Rod, UL Shimano Sienna w/ 4lb.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
that's UL......6lb is light, but you can put 6lb on a UL. You can find suckers anywhere trout congregate. Suckers and Trout go hand-in-hand.
I know its UL lol its the only rod I have set up that way, everything else is 10-20lb mono or braided on baitcasters lol.

haha again I agree but I think slippery rock creek where I fish is devoid of healthy fish haha. the only reason the trout are there is because they stock it like no tomorrow. I may take a stroll this weekend down the creek and see if I cant either catch one or net one further away from the hussle of the trout fishing lol

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I know its UL lol its the only rod I have set up that way, everything else is 10-20lb mono or braided on baitcasters lol.

haha again I agree but I think slippery rock creek where I fish is devoid of healthy fish haha. the only reason the trout are there is because they stock it like no tomorrow. I may take a stroll this weekend down the creek and see if I cant either catch one or net one further away from the hussle of the trout fishing lol
Am I weird or have you also thought, "I wish they made an UL Baitcasting reel"? How sick would that be? little tiny Baitcaster w/ like 200 yds of 4lb test MEGA-sensitive Magnetic drag and spool tensioner, and a 7 foot UL pistol-grip casting rod?.....it would resemble a fly rod in a way, sort of

......with a Flippin' switch too :) You remember the old school Shimano Brush-Buster?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store