How many w/c to do on 180?

Adoinc

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Arvada, Colorado
So my tank will be ready to stock in about a week and I need some suggestions on maintenance as far as large tanks like this goes because this is my first 100+ gallon tank.

Could I get away with 25% or 50 gallon weekly water changes with a low stock load? I don't really have the time or money for more than that I found out recently due to water costs and being busy because of school so that's all I can afford.

Tank specs:
wet/dry - sump rated for 300 gallons
1400 gph pump
Huge pond UV sterilizer
250ml of Purigen

Stock: 1x Sev
6x Angels
1x Bgk
3x l204 flash pleco

I could also include a **** ton of floating plants to help suck up nitrates if need be.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
can't say unless we were to know stocking and feeding regiment. You should be fine with light stock and smaller changes.

I wouldn't count on much Nitrate removal from plants unless you get on the excessive side for plants. They don't eat much Nitrate in general. Most plants will consume ammonia first if present hence the reduction in overall Nitrate because that bio amount skipped the nitrogen cycle all together. Not a bad problem but something to keep in mind if still cycling and stocking.

Reactions: ehh

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
That's a pretty light stock. Buy a nitrate test kit and once they start to creep up then it's about time to change some of the water.

StIcKy~RiCe

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
~ Laos ~
I do 30% every 3 days or 80% weekly when I'm busy. Regardless what I have for stock. Having good filteration is good, but having clean water is best.

IMO do what ever you can, just keep this in mind that most important part of maintenance and the key of good healthy fish is clean water my friend.

Reactions: dan518

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Like err said go off your test results, test before and after a water change till you get a good routine, at the moment a 50% waterchange keeps my nitrate below 20ppm as the fish grow so will my waterchanges

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store