How much is this worth?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Up here they don't tend to be that good of sellers. I'm still sitting on some baby tsn (approx 3") that are retailing right now for 8.99 canadian. Which is roughly 6.70 us right now. Have about 1/2 of the original 12 that were brought in.

Last batch of LSN I finally got rid of after roughly 8 months. Put on special multiple times for 16.99 for 4-6" wild caught individuals.

Aside from that I try and keep prices pretty reasonable on trade ins.
How fast does tigrinium grow? Like if I bought him now at 8", how big would he be say, March 2017? Same question for Lima also, please

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
How fast does tigrinium grow? Like if I bought him now at 8", how big would he be say, March 2017? Same question for Lima also, please
That will likely depend more on how they have been kept up to this point. Never personally raised tigrinnum but from what I've read you should be getting at least and inch a month at this size still, if it has been properly cared for up to this point.

For the lima I found mine in the past to not have much noticeable growth after the 8" mark. In the past i believe I had both s. lima and s. elongatus. LArgest I had a one point would have been approximately 10"

I've personally seen 3-4 lsn specimens in the 16-18" range but not sure exactly what species they would have been or how old they would be.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
That will likely depend more on how they have been kept up to this point. Never personally raised tigrinnum but from what I've read you should be getting at least and inch a month at this size still, if it has been properly cared for up to this point.

For the lima I found mine in the past to not have much noticeable growth after the 8" mark. In the past i believe I had both s. lima and s. elongatus. LArgest I had a one point would have been approximately 10"

I've personally seen 3-4 lsn specimens in the 16-18" range but not sure exactly what species they would have been or how old they would be.
So we're talking almost the same growth rate as a channel cat in tropical water for the TSN, ok maybe a bad idea at the moment

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
The 4-line pim would take a couple months to get there, my lfs would sell one for around 30, the Lima is a fairly common fish but at smaller sizes, elongatus only gets to a foot, the true lima is said to reach 2'. That being said it's likely an elong. and due to that it'll probably grow really slow right now, like the pims rate. If it's a true Lima, it'll probably slow down at a foot. For pricing I'd say similar to the pim. And for the tsn, don't do it if you don't have plans of getting a large enclosure, like over 1000g. Rays require a lot of floor space from my knowledge so that may not be a wise route either , however, if you can't get ahold of a tank that is not only long but wide front to back. Pricing for the ray I can't say, but tsn are really common and cheap. One that size I wouldn't pay no more than 15 for. Other wise get a smaller one and grow it to that size quickly. They grow 1-2" a month I believe. Possibly faster.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
So I went to get flake food today and check out the fish order list and I saw the LSN was still there alone, so I ended up buying him for $10, and I picked up 2 synodontis for $14 and a $3 clown pleco. I feel much more content buying smaller stuff , instead of a TSN that's gonna grow 50"+ and sit there and wish he had more space. Is it normal for LSNs to stand-up?

Hystrix was still there, but I don't want it until I get a tank with a 24" width

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Yes it's normal for them to perch in weird places and s and straight up. Kinda funny too lol

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Yes it's normal for them to perch in weird places and s and straight up. Kinda funny too lol
lol hey dude, it's my 1st Sorubim idk these things yet, but thanx for the reply. It seemed normal cuz the cat itself is already weird enough by looks and behavior, but I did have that feeling it might mean something is wrong with him. Cheers.

10" hystrix for 75-100 is a steal. 200-300 easily. Especially if female maybe more that's breeding size for them
I got a 225g coming this week or so, would a pair be ok in a 75g? I was gonna use it for Brackish Moray/Cichlid tank, but now that I been thinking about it, idk lol UnstoppableJayD UnstoppableJayD already told me I can't do Hystrix in Brackish though. What about Brackish stingrays I could do? Any help there?

Last edited:
Reactions: moe214
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store