Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

How often should I clean my eheim 2213?

Discussion in 'Setup and Filtration' started by Akabir47, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Akabir47

Akabir47 MFK Members

Dec 14, 2014
      I have a 75g that houses my KML FH filtered by two emperor 400's and an ehiem 2213 canister filter. I clean the HOB's twice a month but I was wondering how often should I clean the canister which is stictly used for mechanical and bio filtration, there is no carbon inside. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated...

Oh yea and here's a pic of my boy...:D

[​IMG]

2. M.Carfi

M.Carfi MFK Members

Oct 13, 2012
      once every 3 to 6 months depending directly on bioload.

3. HarleyK

HarleyK Canister Man
      Staff Member

Today at 8:36 PM
      Howdy,

You should clean canister filters when their flow rate decreases. In a perfect world you would never have to clean them because organic material gets mineralized. In a not-so-perfect world (i.e. my tanks) I clean mine about once a year.

:thumbsup:

HarleyK

4. dwilder

dwilder MFK Members

Jun 9, 2015
      i do mine once a month but i do keep discus so i try to keep water very clean

5. Akabir47

Akabir47 MFK Members

Dec 14, 2014
      Well I do weekly 40-50% wc's and besides the FH theres only a pleco...Also tank is almost bare bottom...

6. M.Carfi

M.Carfi MFK Members

Oct 13, 2012

If you are vacuuming the bottom when you change the water and there is no accumulation on the bottom afterward, your nitrates are prob pretty low considering the tank residents. I would say it should be very safe to do it 2 times a year if you clean your mechanical filtration every week to keep the water clear. Don't forget, you want the eheim to cultivate good bacteria to eliminate toxins and if you keep disturbing it by cleaning it that won't happen.

7. Akabir47

Akabir47 MFK Members

Dec 14, 2014
      Due to the current produced by the 2 400's most of the waste gets sucked up by the filter heads and when I do vacumming. The current goes across the top towards the front, down the front and then back up again towards the back of the tank. Besides cleaning the hoses and impellor I havent touched the canister in a year. Since it is an ehiem and the canister is some what see through I took a flash light to it and it looked ok.

8. M.Carfi

M.Carfi MFK Members

Oct 13, 2012
      You got to do some maintenance on it......I wouldn't say well it will take care of it self......but again...you have good filtration, and you do seem to do enough maintenance. I would say after a year it's about that time....I wouldn't wait that long on the sheer fact that you might have had a problem and didn't know for a long time. You have to keep an eye on the operation. You should have no problems , just get to it as soon as it is convenient. I have a 2226 and a 2229 and I love those filters.

9. M.Carfi

M.Carfi MFK Members

Oct 13, 2012
      If you haven't already.... you should get into testing your water. It may seem a little difficult at first... but in the long run that will tell you if your doing a good jog cleaning the tank and if your filtration is doing it's job.

10. phillydog1958

phillydog1958 MFK Members

Wichita, KS by way of Philly, PA (Originally from
      Yesterday at 6:32 PM
      I agree. filter maintenance is also the only true way to give your filter a physical exam.