Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details
      Dismiss Notice

How to identify male/female cichlids???

Discussion in 'African Rift Lake Cichlids' started by yonk420, Jan 12, 2006.

1. yonk420

yonk420 MFK Members

Jul 28, 2007
      I am very curious as to how you can tell the difference between male and female cichlids, because I have a pair of ice blue cichlids and I would like to know if they are in fact male/female or male/male. Any info from you guys will be a big help as usual. :headbang2

2. CentralMayhem

CentralMayhem MONSTER FISH EATER

Dec 2, 2007
      scientific name or photos and id be able to give ya better info. if its an african cichlid id say it would maybe be a kenyi(Pseudotropheus lombardoi) in which the females remain blue and the males turn yellow at maturity or it could be an electric blue ahli in which case i believe males are blue and females are brown. pics or scientific name are needed

3. yonk420

yonk420 MFK Members

Jul 28, 2007
      I will have the scientific name posted tomorrow. I believe that they are south american and they are a type of zebra if that makes any sense! thanks for the help.

4. yonk420

yonk420 MFK Members

Jul 28, 2007
      I also have a african Lamprologous calvus. It is about 3 inches, what do I need to look to determine the sex?

5. SinisterKisses

SinisterKisses MFK Members

Aug 10, 2009
      If they're zebras, the should be Malawi, not South American. 'Ice Blue' can be used for a few fish, but most commonly its used for M. greshakei - in which case, males are blue with orange fins, and females are brown. Get some pics up as soon as you can, and we can help you out better ;)

6. YOULOOKLIKEAFISH

YOULOOKLIKEAFISH MFK Members

Jan 14, 2011
      How about tiger oscars?

7. danny boy

danny boy MFK Members

Mar 4, 2006
      oscars have to be vented or wait till one lays eggs. although this isnt proof that any are male but that one is female. venting is the sure fire way to go.

8. yonk420

yonk420 MFK Members

Jul 28, 2007
      thanks for the correction on the type of cichlids that my zebras are sinister. I should have my pics up by this weekend. Thanks again for the help.

9. JYayAD

JYayAD MFK Members

Oct 3, 2006
      Some cichlids are easier than others to identify

10. Scotty

Scotty MFK Members

Jan 18, 2009
      The safest way to sex fish is to vent them. This requires the fish to be of reasonable size so you can see the difference. With the male they have two small holes whilst the female will have one small and one much much larger hole. The only really reliable way of doing it.
      Egg spots etc don't al;ways work. Some Malawi's have quite different colouring between themale and female but they first have to reachmaturity before the colouring shows, eg Ps sdaulosi and Met. lombardoi. As fry and young fish they are the same colour but saulosi males become blue whilst with the lombardoi the males become yellow. :naughty: :woot: :clap :headbang2 :thumbsup: