How to make an Emperor 400 a good filter

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
Pictures at bottom of post.

I am aware that the title will probably upset a few people but frankly the world needs to know that these filters are awful in comparison to the competition. They are way over engineered which leads to excessive noise and unreliability. I can already hear the "I have one that's been running silently for 10 years" comments. Congratulations but a simple search for "noisy emperor filter" will show you that that is not the experience of many people especially with the newer iterations of the filter.

I obtained a heavily used emperor 400 with a wonky impeller that made a lot of rattling noise. I considered replacing the impeller but it also made a ton of water trickle noise while running. Add to that squeaky bio wheels and disappointing flow and I knew it was either a job for the trash bin or a redesign. I chose the redesign and so far it has worked flawlessly!

For anyone interested I have owned whisper, Aqueon, Marineland, and Fluval HOB filters. The Fluval Aquaclear is hands down no completion the best and most reliable. It is also dead silent in my experience.

How to:
Step 1. Throw away everything that Marineland engineered except the main body, media boxes, and the top. Things are already improving as these are the parts which work correctly.

Step 2. Purchase a 300-600 gph pump (not power head) with 3/4" hose barb. I used an eco plus 633 which is nearly 600gph and more than 50% more flow than the original emperor 400 pump. Also purchase 12" of 3/4" pvc, two elbows, a female threaded adapter, and a 3/4 hose barb/male threaded adapter. Finally you will need enough 3/4" hose to reach the bottom of your aquarium. I used less than 12" of hose.

Step 3. Assemble pvc into a new intake tube the has the hose barb on the tank side and a gap of atleast 1" to the bottom of the filter on the filter side. (I can add more photos if people show interest)

Step 4. Attach hose long enough to allow you pump to side in the floor of the aquarium. If you are using subtrate than you probably want to add an elbow and attach your pump to the aquarium wall so you don't suck up your sand. Assemble pvc hose and pump. Place hang on back body on tank and install your pump and new intake tube. It will simply hang on to the filter body. You could attach it but I see no need.

Step 5. Using bonded filter material place a piece so that it wraps around the pvc where it dumps into the filter body (See pictures). Also place filter material in front of the media boxes as you slide them into the tank side slots of the filter.

The filter now works and works well! It will however trickle.

Optional Step 6. Slide filter material on the other side of the media boxes and let it flop over the overflow output of the filter.

If done correctly it will now be completely silent. Because the pump is in the tank you can't even hear the hum. I occasionally have to check that's it is even on its so quiet while pumping 500-600 gph!

And that is how you make an Emperor 400 a good filter.

If people are interested I could take it apart and make a visual how to.

I will be painting the pvc black to make it less visible as well as doing a better job hiding the cord and hose.

Last edited:
Reactions: ECW and tlindsey

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
I tried to edit a few spelling and grammar errors (I'm on my phone) but I guess there is a time limit... Apologies

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
I thought this was a nice mix of being informative and humorous. This place isn't as lively as it used to be.

Reactions: Timmy

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
That is normally the solution but this time I was in a making mood!

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
Still running well and dead silent. I will clean it one half at a time to prevent mini cycle

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store