How to measure Salt in a FW tank?

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Hey Is there a way to measure salt in a FW tank. Need to use salt to aid in a fish disease treatment. Ive read on here that my salt should be for treatment .1 % to .3 %. Ive called my LFS and they dont have anything that reads that low. Anyone know how to test for .1 to.3? Thanks!

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Why not do a salt bath and return the fish to the hospital tank. Might be a better option for you. I just eye it. But with salt baths I pour a good amount. Helps the fish a lot.

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Why not do a salt bath and return the fish to the hospital tank. Might be a better option for you. I just eye it. But with salt baths I pour a good amount. Helps the fish a lot.
Thanks I need to have salt in the main tank though to treat ick. I have added salt everynow and then and have no clue how much salt content remains in the tank.. I want to make sure I dose enough but not too much!! Anyone know how to test this? Thanks

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Nope I just put in as much as I think is good enough and do water changes. Heat will kill your ick! Put it up to 85 degrees depends on the type of fish you have.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
An inexpensive tool is to use a hydrometer to measure it.

Alternatively, you could start with a tank that has no salt, then add a specific amount of salt (based upon water volume to equal the % you want), then allow the treatment to work (without adding more salt), and when the treatment is over, do several water changes over time without adding salt, which will reduce the salt content close to zero.

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
An inexpensive tool is to use a hydrometer to measure it.

Alternatively, you could start with a tank that has no salt, then add a specific amount of salt (based upon water volume to equal the % you want), then allow the treatment to work (without adding more salt), and when the treatment is over, do several water changes over time without adding salt, which will reduce the salt content close to zero.
Thanks for the idea! Also do you know if they make Hydrometers for measure for .1%-.3%?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store