how to plumb a closed loop

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
So I'm curious how its been done exactly. I'm going to look at a tank today thats been drilled with 6 holes in the bottom for a closed loop. So I'm assuming I need strainers on the intakes, bulkheads glued to..... and thats where I get lost. I figured I'm going to need a pvc union and a ball or gate valve on each line in case i ever have to disconnect. But other than that what kind of plumbing do I need pipe wise? and how do you all connect to the bulkhead, pvc and cement to valve?union? transfer to a hose or stick with pvc?

Also when it flows back to the tank what kind of output do you put on those holes or do you even use those holes? does it flow over the top of the tank? straight into the tank thru the drilled hose? is there any flaw with plumbing it to pvc with holes drilled in it to stir up the substrate?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
On the bottom of one end of my tank there's a drilled hole where I have a bulkhead and "T" with two strainers in the tank. This sucks the water from the tank through my pump (running dry not in sump), then back out to two other drilled holes on the other end of my tank using bulkheads and loc-lines for the return. I use PVC, true-unions ball valves connected to and from the pump, as well as true-union ball valves connected to the bulkheads for shut off and easy removal.

Typically used in reef tanks, it's creates good waterflow in my freshwater. I hope that helps.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
is the flow enough to blow all the solids on the bottom out of the tank? There's no filtration to catch debris? Could you add that if you wanted? I'm wondering if, maybe, this would be the way to keep the bottom of a pleco tank pristine all the time without having to gravel vac it everyday?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
The intent of the closed loop circulation as I know is really for just flow and circulation. Similarly to using wave maker to create water flow and air circulation. I don't think it would serve well for what you need.

that's a lot of work to have to vacuum each day though do you do that?

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
thanks, I'm looking at a tank with 6 drilled holes and i figured i might as well use them instead of closing them up.

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
sorry I meant to add before, I've seen pictures of the jacuzzi or pool strainers on closed loop once or twice (modified?) but I still don't understand how that doesn't suck down sand or any other particles to reek havoc on the pump. I know some people put canisters on but i always see them after the pump so how does that stop particles from messing with the impeller or shaft setup (sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology but hopefully you understand my point nonetheless).

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
My tank was like that when i first got it. i researched and researched and finally came to the conclusion i just didnt sleep well at night knowing there were holes on the bottom of the tank. i sealed them and drilled my own hole where i wanted it for an overflow near the top.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store