Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details
      Dismiss Notice

How to sex a bluegill?

Discussion in 'Cold Water, Temperate and North American Native Fi' started by AVANC, Jan 10, 2009.

1. AVANC

AVANC MFK Members

Dec 5, 2009
      So does anybody out there know how to tell the difference? I have two, ones about four inches, the other is a little smaller. they look identical but the smaller one is much more aggressive. i experimented a bit and made an area of gravel look like the nests they build at pond edges, the smaller one immediately moved in and started guarding it but I'm not sure if the males or females guard the nests. Any ideas?

2. MultispeciesTamer

MultispeciesTamer MFK Members

Dec 30, 2014
      i would think that they are probly to small to tell, there are still ways but i dont know them. but iam no expert on breeding them. males are userly the ones on the nest, but there have to be certin changes in order to get them to exibit spawning behavior, like if the tank gets cold for a while like winter, then slowly warms like spring. this should signal a change.

3. le patron

le patron MFK Members

May 10, 2014
      my bluegill is a beatiful male at 4" got him when he was 1" a little over a year ago. males have brown or orangish bellies while females are less colorful. mine started to develop his belly color around 4 months after i first got him(about 2.5")
      also, males guard nests, not females. they lay eggs and then leave the nest for good

4. Gator

Gator MFK Members

Aug 6, 2014
      They should be large enough to Vent. Look under the fish both fish have two openings. the one closest to the head is the anus the other is the genital opening. With males both openings are the same size, with females the genital opening is larger than the anus. Of course breeding season is the best time to tell when the males are colored up.

5. Venom SS

Venom SS MFK Members

Aug 21, 2015
      Last time I tried to sex a bluegill it gave me ich...oh that wasnt a bluegill..nevermind...:WHOA: