How to STOP FROGS COMING IN TO MY POND

peters817

Feeder Fish
Feb 28, 2011
arlington,tx
I too am trying to get ready for spring, last year I had toads come and make home in and around my small ponds, well my fish died, all of them. I found out that the eggs are toxic to the fish, plus something that the toad excretes is deadly to fish. I caught them time after time, moved them to a pond at a park, I had to empty the pond and wash off the plants to rid of eggs, So I would really like to find a way of keeping these bug eating wonderful creatures out of my pond , but leave in my garden! Any suggestions?

5_fish_in_a_pond

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2009
Northern Illinois
Sounds like a toad invasion to me. Frogs are normally the sign of a healthy pond. My suggestion would be to pick up a cheep "pond filter" from home depot to get water moving in the pond, it tends to discourage toads as I have found out. Another thing that I would suggest is to have your dog or a neighbor's dog walk about your pond about once a week, the smell alone should discourage toads and raccoons too!

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Mayuka,
This is actually a very important question for anybody where toads are toxic, like Florida or the southern US or Australia or here as we also have Bufo marinus introduced and it has toxic life-stages.

I'm importing $2000 US worth of fish for a private (pond) re-fit and if toadpoles (rampant/chronic) are going to be problematic I'll need to re-think my stocking choices.

Does anybody in Florida or South/Central America have an outdoor pond with this issue? Are fish from areas with these sorts of toads naturally going to be less susceptible to toxins or know not to eat the eggs/toadpoles/adults?

Mayuka, what types of fish do you have (still)- what has survived, what has died?

You fellas with the Cichla food suggestions- try it and keep us posted!

Thanks,
A

The_Nuge

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2011
St. Paul Mn.
I had toads in mine last year before i put the pump in the skimmer.. eggs all over too. as soon as i hooked up the pump and got the water moving the toads moved out!

this year i have my two large mouth bass that out grew my tank standing guard..lol
as i always do i had to rebuild an aquascape pump for my pond since there only good for a season. i get the return pumps from my friend whos an installer. this time i rebuilt a 4500 GPH pump for my 350 gal pond! we might have rapids in the stream this year! whoooa!

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
Pics of the frog/toad or their tadpoles would help people ID them for sure. If they are just common frogs or leopard frogs though there should be several fish species large enough to eat them. Have you checked all your other water parameters to be sure it isn't something else that caused the fish die off, like nitrite/dissolved o2 too low, ammonia?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store