How to waterproof a plywood aquarium

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
Ocean Railroader said:
What would be the best to use on a cinder block tank with cinder block cores filled with cement?
That should be a nice strong structure so Pond Shield would probably work well. One of the liquid rubber products would also probably work.

surfpalmsncycads said:
how about resealing aquariums by taping off a 2 inch strip along all the seams? would pond liner work for that? i have about 30 tanks i need to reseal and keep puting it off. it would only look ugly but still work for breeding tanks right? any ideas?
I think for resealing glass aquariums plain old silicone is probably still the best bet. The materials I mentioned would work well for plywood but don't really adhere well to glass so I don't think they would be appropriate.

sashimimaster said:
Now how about a quick comparison chart to show:
Type, ease of application, cured consistency, toxicity, color choices, silicone compatibility, pros, cons and where to buy
Thanks. All that info is included in the posts and summarized at the end of each section. A comparison chart would be nice but I don't want to go through the trouble of making one just because people are too lazy to read :grinno:

That being said, if someone else wants to add one feel free - all the required info is already there.

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
I'm looking at this ideas and I remember seeing a place that sells a four foot by eight foot one inch sheet of arylic. My worry is if I can seal up the cinder block walls of the tank. How do I frame the arylic to the three sided cinder block walls? Do I glue it right to the cinder blocks or is there a speical fame I would have to get buit for it?

Crispy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Ontario Canada
quick point about 'liquid rubbers':

liquid rubber, pond armor, or zavlar especially will not adhere to conventional silicones. 3M 5200 has been found to work best for the viewing panes installation when using these products. Many builds used epoxy for the window frames and not LR. I'm planning on using zavlar and 3M5200 on my next build.

Good thread if all this info can be compiled afterwards could make a sticky.

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
Yes, I mentioned this in my liquid rubber post above. Also, I think you mean "Pond Coat" not "Pond Armor". Pond Armor's Pond Shield is an epoxy and silicone adheres to it with no problems.

the_deeb;4457041; said:
Zavlar/Pond Coat will not cure when applied over silicone. Similarly, silicone will not adhere to cured Pond Coat. This incompatibility with silicone is a disadvantage of these products but is easily overcome. One strategy is to use butyl rubber, polyurethane caulk or 3M 5200 instead of silicone. The viewing window should be installed first with one of these products and then the Zavlar/Pond Coat is used to waterproof the inside and paint over the cured caulk. As an additional measure of security I recommend using a small amount of epoxy to first waterproof the area where the viewing window will be installed, such that epoxy layer bridges the seam between the zavlar and caulk. This way, in the event the zavlar separates from the caulk the epoxy provides an additional waterproof layer that will prevent leakage.
Also, you wrote "3M 5200 has been found to work best for the viewing panes installation when using these products". Has anyone actually done any tests to confirm adherence of 3M 5200 to liquid rubber or vice versa? I know you said that you were going to but I never saw any updates in your build thread. As far as I know butyl or polyurethane caulk have been recommended by the liquid rubber reps. 3M 5200 is a great product and would probably work well but I personally haven't seen any comparisons or build journals that prove that it works "best".

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
if I go for Insl-X and it works on my 450 I'll put up a post similar to the first ones for consideration.

however, you left out pond liners + viewing panes. lol

also permidri has several products such as hydroban that can also be used to seal tanks.

Crispy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Ontario Canada
the_deeb;4465826; said:
Yes, I mentioned this in my liquid rubber post above. Also, I think you mean "Pond Coat" not "Pond Armor". Pond Armor's Pond Shield is an epoxy and silicone adheres to it with no problems.

Also, you wrote "3M 5200 has been found to work best for the viewing panes installation when using these products". Has anyone actually done any tests to confirm adherence of 3M 5200 to liquid rubber or vice versa? I know you said that you were going to but I never saw any updates in your build thread. As far as I know butyl or polyurethane caulk have been recommended by the liquid rubber reps. 3M 5200 is a great product and would probably work well but I personally haven't seen any comparisons or build journals that prove that it works "best".
yes, sorry, I meant pond coat. here is the build where he uses zavlar and 3M 5200. I suppose it may not be the absolute best method, but upon reading many builds and looking at what's available in my area, this will be an easy method for me.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340639

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store