How well do claspers heal? Bad dmg impede breeding after heal?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
20160920_164456.jpg
20160920_164706.jpg

For whatever reason, my one female keeps chewing on my males claspers. It wasn't super bad until I got home from work today. One is shredded, half worried about him losing it. I just separated him, i will grab some salt when I get a chance, tank is under a strong UV sterilizer. Has anyone ever had bad claspers damage to a breeding male before? Has it resulted in the male not being able to breed anymore? Any other comments? Thanks in advance, this sucks, no pun intended, he is my only male breeder.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I have. My old leo male was a claspers chewers on my BD male. They heal incredibly well. Ray injuries inin general are impressive how they recover. He'll be good to go. Since the last issue with that male mine recovered well and has gotten two females (BD and henlei) pregnant since.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I have. My old leo male was a claspers chewers on my BD male. They heal incredibly well. Ray injuries inin general are impressive how they recover. He'll be good to go. Since the last issue with that male mine recovered well and has gotten two females (BD and henlei) pregnant since.
Wow this is the best news I've heard all week. Much appreciation for the response, makes me feel better. If anyone else had had a contrary experience please post, otherwise I will put this out of my mind. Beauty thing is other than running away from my little female he had had absolutely no change in mood or appetite, plus he's stopped harassing the pregnant one too which is a bonus.

Reactions: JK47

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
The one seems to be on its way to healing, the other looks terrible. Looks like top half is missing, idk how he'd ever be able to get sperm out of there again. I'm going to pick up salt over my lunch today, should I pick up some sort of stress coat or slime coat or whatever?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
20160922_103530.jpg

If you look at the very end there is a sort of "tube" or something that is sticking out, it's more white than the rest of the flesh, a bit translucent. I'm just a bit worried that is the sperm shooting tube (sorry for lack of technical terms, I'm not a doctor).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store