HR 669 : CONGRESSIONAL HEARING BANNING NONNATIVE SPECIES APRIL 23, 2009 ACTION NEEDED

fishyjoe26

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2008
plano texas
cool, someone got the link to work. that was the one I was trying to post under the tittle"time to start writing"

kiko

Feeder Fish
Jul 7, 2007
oregon
The proposed legislation seeks to protect a secific class of imported animals, those that can propose a danger of establishing populations that compete with native popluations. Invasive species do pose problems, many that are obvious, and some that are more difficult to identify. It is certainly easy to take pot shots at any legislation, especially when the attacks contain inaccuracies. Many of the criticisms I've read in this thread assume sinister motives all around. Maybe we can leave some room for considering that sometimes issues are complex, solutions complex, and not everybody can have everything they want all the time, without affecting someone elses legitimate interests.
Read the proposed legislation. It may pose threats to your interests, but it may also prevent unecessary environmental damage. Many of the responses in this thread are exaggerated worse case scenarios of the impact the legislation might have. Some of them seem unlikely.
It would be more constructive to calm down, and work towards the best solutions to the problems the legislation attempts to resolve.
It is easy to blame goverments and legislators, but the government we have is the government we elect, and the legislation we get, is the legislation we allow.
Getting angry doesn't help. Being smart can.

spring007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2006
Where there is sunshine
^^ Agreed...
The only problem I'm having is that why are they focusing on a thriving business that is worth millions of dollars when the economy is doing so bad?

I agree that there are many non-native fish in the rivers and lakes of our country but do you really think that there is any fish (kept in aquariums) that are not found in south florida or even in the US's water masses? If no then what is the point in stopping the trade now? Even if they do, I don't think that the government will spend many more millions to catch and destroy all the non-native fish found in our country. We will still have a thriving population of these non-native fish.

After that would they arrest me if I catch a gar in florida and bring it to keep it in my aquarium?

IMHO, public awareness, i.e., letting the pet owners know that releasing the fish in the wild is not really a good idea. I'm sure our government has money to put up TV commercials for that, just like the army and the national guard ads.

Hell, this law just sounds like saying "ethanol made from corn" is better to use in cars than regular gasoline.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Many legislations are slid piggy back on some other bill/legislation with out the public
even knowing about it. To believe that the government doesn't have alterior motives
is niave. Just look at all the rights they took away by implementing the Anti Terrorist
legislation after 911. They could wait to be able to grab anyone they wanted under
the guise of national security. The public is losing rights left and right under that nonsense.

mjuniorc

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Fish Room
HAHAAHAAHAA,,.... you guys are worrying to much.... either way.. were still gonna get what ever we want.... think about it... their are alot of illegals already banned from the U.S.... hmmmm and i wonder how people got ahold of them....

its called.... SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!...... hahahahahaha:ROFL:

just wanna note, i hope this doesnt pass!!!! cuz MFK has alot of devoted, dedicated MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!!! ;)

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
What's next? Lets close all the breweries to cut down on alcohol induced accidents?

Talk about cutting off your nose in spite of your face............

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Here's a novel idea,all of you drones who seem to go blindly support this nonsense and go on and on about the damage non natives can cause to our environment,how about you all turn in your fish ,sell off your equipment and discontinue being a member here.NONE OF THESE ANIMALS JUST GOT HERE RECENTLY,THE DAMAGE HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
DB junkie;2780746; said:
What's next? Lets close all the breweries to cut down on alcohol induced accidents?

Talk about cutting off your nose in spite of your face............
Or stop the manufacturing of guns because of the thugs and idiots.

Oh yeah they are already trying to do that too!:screwy:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store