Humidity

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
So I'm curious to if any of you have issues in there fish room. I'm talking if you're running several tanks not just one big one. All my tanks are in a basement that is just block wall not really finished . Humidity really gets up there in the warmer months I have a dehumidifier really not strong enough also in the past few years got one of those portable ac units that exhaust out a window this helps a lot but still would not mind something stronger . What are others doing?

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
You did not state what humidity levels you are seeing, but the normal range for a house is generally between 40-60, depending on preference. When the room is warm, you'll most likely want it lower. If you don't know, get a $10 humidity monitor from somewhere like Amazon and get a feel for what the real relative humidity is in your fish room. That way you can define whether or not there is an issue in the first place.

If your dehumidifier is an older unit, you might look at replacing it. Mine could barely get the room below 50. Replaced it and I was at 35 or lower.

Consider sealing off the room with some plastic sheeting. No doubt the exterior air is affecting the humidity in the room. I did this in my old fish room and it helped a LOT.

Cover all of your tanks. Just adding one tank without a lid will make a noticeable difference in the humidity levels.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Yes tank lids and how well the tank is covered is huge! Also I will probably install a exhaust fan on a timer in the ceiling if with adding my larger tank humidity raises

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I had about 3000 gallons of tanks in my tiny house (<1000 square feet) mostly on the 1st floor (even had a 55 gal in the bathroom), and before I moved, I had to have the house remediated.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I have a fart fan connected to a humidistat. I keep it set at 70% but it only comes on in the summer when the humidity is high anyway. Basements tend to be humid. They absorb moisture from the ground.

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
The fish room is packed about 2000 gal including sumps humidity gets high 85+% air can get steal even with portable ac. Tanks all have lids . Anyone use a air exchanger

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
The fish room is packed about 2000 gal including sumps humidity gets high 85+% air can get steal even with portable ac. Tanks all have lids . Anyone use a air exchanger
There are a few guys that do. I never switch due to the initial cost and running costs associated. Dehumidifiers are costly, but were still cheaper overall versus an exchanger. Plus, I haven't really committed to a long term house/fish room yet, so installation and removal never seemed like a good idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store