Hybrid Crayfish!

black_sun

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
New Jersey
My first successful hybrid crayfish have been born, er rather... have just swam off the tail!

I had a male Procambarus cubensis and a female Procambarus alleni who mated, and the female berried a few days thereafter. She had a rather large tail full of eggs, but I wasn't entirely sure any of them would make it. I've had a few other hybrid attempts (in different species) that resulted in just infertile berries. Well, today mama has a big tail full of crawling babies, and about 20 of them are already off and exploring the tank!

Mama with most of her brood still on her tail.

One brave explorer riding on a ramshorn.

I can't wait to see which characteristics and traits they take on as adults. Though, I know I've created a very aggressive breed of crayfish... the little things are vicious already (then again, both parents are highly aggressive species lol).

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
nice. will you be sellling? if so how much?

angelo21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2008
At my house...
nice!

black_sun

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
New Jersey
Ideally, I will be selling them since I can't possibly house that many adult crayfish (much to my dismay). But having never had a successful hybrid before, I'm not sure how many of the offspring will make it to adulthood. Though, at this point they all seem very active and alert, and are feeding and scrapping with each other well. So, here's to hoping. If they do good and grow, they'll probably be $5/ea or somewhere in that range, interest pending.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
heh, i will be waiting

Yabbadoo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
The Dark Side
So Cool ......... :thumbsup:

When we cross Aussie C.Rotundus x C.Albidus the offspring turn out to be all males........

Wonder if you'll have a M/F mix or single sex???
Please keep us updated as they grow.

Good one:woot:

black_sun

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
New Jersey
Yabbadoo;2606493; said:
So Cool ......... :thumbsup:

When we cross Aussie C.Rotundus x C.Albidus the offspring turn out to be all males........

Wonder if you'll have a M/F mix or single sex???
Please keep us updated as they grow.

Good one:woot:
Hmm, I wonder. Ooo, I can't wait. One more thing to look forward to seeing as they grow!

C. rotundus and C. albidus are both big beasts as adults, what do their offspring look like? (Giant evil crayfish of doom? lol)

synodontisjack;2606661; said:
cool, keep us updated, my peknyi X quad attempt is failing thus far
Are they not interested in each other, or you can't get a berry (or fertile berry)?

black_sun

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
New Jersey
synodontisjack;2607104; said:
not interested really, the peknyi is quite a bit smaller than the quad but who knows i could have success yet.
I hope you do. That would make for one interesting hybrid. ^_^

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store