Hybrid snappers... It's possible!

CDMay

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
I just discovered this thread today.
Alligator snappers and common snappers have been hybridized here in the United States a number of times.
A zoo in either Texas or Alabama ( I can't remember which ) produced hybrids for a few years before they realized what they were doing. There were a number of photos on the Internet a couple of years ago.
A turtle dealer in Ft. Myers, Florida had a few of them about six months ago.
The photos that I saw of them looked just like the animals pictured above.

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
I just discovered this thread today.
Alligator snappers and common snappers have been hybridized here in the United States a number of times.
A zoo in either Texas or Alabama ( I can't remember which ) produced hybrids for a few years before they realized what they were doing. There were a number of photos on the Internet a couple of years ago.
A turtle dealer in Ft. Myers, Florida had a few of them about six months ago.
The photos that I saw of them looked just like the animals pictured above.
Jeez, guess I just haven't been looking hard enough lol. So do you agree that the ones in the pictures are hybrids?
Also... Do you happen to know where where, if anywhere, I can get them in the US? It's so expensive to get it shipped from Hong Kong lol.

CDMay

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Jeez, guess I just haven't been looking hard enough lol. So do you agree that the ones in the pictures are hybrids?
Also... Do you happen to know where where, if anywhere, I can get them in the US? It's so expensive to get it shipped from Hong Kong lol.
The guy who had the hybrid snappers that I saw the pictures of advertises on Fauna Classifieds as John K in Ft. Myers.
I met him once but he seemed very professional and decent.

The photos you showed look like classic hybrids to me.

Monsterturtlekeeper

Feeder Fish
Nov 20, 2020
Found a guy in Hong Kong who collects snappers... I'm not going to disclose his name yet... He keeps alligator snappers, common snappers, Florida snappers, albinos, leucistics, melanistics, hypos, piers, any snapper you can think of... Including CST x AST hybrids!
Or, so he claims. View attachment 1159956 View attachment 1159957
Found a guy in Hong Kong who collects snappers... I'm not going to disclose his name yet... He keeps alligator snappers, common snappers, Florida snappers, albinos, leucistics, melanistics, hypos, piers, any snapper you can think of... Including CST x AST hybrids!
Or, so he claims. View attachment 1159956 View attachment 1159957 View attachment 1159958
These are some images he sent me in a private conversation. They seem legit to me but I wanted everyone else's input. The head looks like a common snapper and the shell is round like a common, but the spiky scutes on top of the shell definitely say this is a hybrid.
I just wanted to share before I order a youngster from him in a few months :)
Do you know anybody who still sells them? I might be the minority here but a massive more aggressive looking cst with the cst puppy personality would be amazing. Can somebody message me if they find somebody who sells these?
View attachment 1159958
These are some images he sent me in a private conversation. They seem legit to me but I wanted everyone else's input. The head looks like a common snapper and the shell is round like a common, but the spiky scutes on top of the shell definitely say this is a hybrid.
I just wanted to share before I order a youngster from him in a few months :)
Do you know anybody who still sells these?? They are awesome, I might be the minority here but a gargantuan

Monsterturtlekeeper

Feeder Fish
Nov 20, 2020
......and when you have the potential to breed a rare, threatened, vulnerable or endangered speices, WHY wouldn't you breed it to it's own species. That makes as much sense as breeding Ligers or Tiglons. EVERY tiger species is endangered, yet we still manage to NOT breed more pure-strain specimens because we like to "play God" and see what ELSE we can create.

Let's see if we can hybridize Golden Toads next....there's a whole 500 left in the world (if we're lucky).

Rant over.

@OP, check and see how long his neck is. AST have like no neck, CST can bite your hand halfway down the back of it's shell.
I agree with the tiger and gold toads, issue with tigers is too much incest breeding, tons of diseases and health issues.
Ast are struggling in the wild but thriving in captivity, plenty of breeders are already saving this species. Why not create a super turtle?

Goat1429

Feeder Fish
Jun 24, 2021
This is my alligator/ common hybrid. And if you're wondering, he's meaner than hell and growing like a weed. 10 months old now

16245660358515551660674634257492.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store