I am a glutton for punishment.....

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Once again... I am trying a flower ray. the last one didn't make it 2 weeks. So I waited until this one was with me week before posting. She seems to be doing fairly well . She is eating ghost shrimp and cut crawlers... and chewing on cut silver sides. I paid more then I wanted to but she looked real strong and had a good feeding response at the store. Wish me and her luck!024 (2).JPG 022 (2).JPG

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Love Flowers, they just get better and better as they mature....she is lovely!

Personally never found them harder to keep than any other rays, so long as they are healthy when you get them its fairly plain sailing, getting them of the worms and live Shrimp will prove a challenge but not an impossible one. I generally have them on cooked Prawns within a month,seems to be a favoured first alternative choice. Once they are settled and jumping on food as they do they are more than a match for any ray, once had to remove one from a group of other Potamotrygon species because it was such an aggressive feeder, would attack the others in its efforts to get in there first.

Good luck Jason.

Reactions: UnstoppableJayD

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Love Flowers, they just get better and better as they mature....she is lovely!

Personally never found them harder to keep than any other rays, so long as they are healthy when you get them its fairly plain sailing, getting them of the worms and live Shrimp will prove a challenge but not an impossible one. I generally have them on cooked Prawns within a month,seems to be a favoured first alternative choice. Once they are settled and jumping on food as they do they are more than a match for any ray, once had to remove one from a group of other Potamotrygon species because it was such an aggressive feeder, would attack the others in its efforts to get in there first.

Good luck Jason.
Awesome! Great to hear... cooked prawn? I have never fed my fish cooked feed only raw. can you elaborate?

Reactions: Small Dave

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
Awesome! Great to hear... cooked prawn? I have never fed my fish cooked feed only raw. can you elaborate?
ive not used cooked prawn either. i imagine its a bit tougher for the very young rays although adults probably would be fine.

you cooking your prawns aquaman ? or just a typo ?

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
I use cooked prawn, assume many people do.
Cooked and frozen, just brought direct from a supermarket. Chop it up for my pups and whole for the adults.
Cooked mussel, squid, cockle.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Cooked shrimp dosnt have the same levels of nutrition that raw has. Do you use cooked because of a more safer alternative?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store