I give up...

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
WP_20160813_008.jpg WP_20160813_004.jpg Here's a snapshot and does look on the bare side, but I'll take it over wilted plants and ugly hair algae ;-)

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ tank still looks decent, but i can see the only way you could win aginst the algae is if you scrubbed down every rock in that tank, since it seems algae has already started to take hold on those river stones...

Either that, or maybe try find some seriously fast growing plants to outcompete the algae and after the algae dies a bit, try again later with some new plants?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
DN328 DN328 are you running all 12 bulbs??? Coz that sounds like an extremely high amount of light in my mind...

I personally run 4 T5-HO on my main (50G) planted tank and worked out a 4hr on / 3hr off / 4hr on schedule worked, but still required a fair amount of Co2 to prevent algae from taking hold...

I also took any plant trimmings and kept replanting them to help compete against the algae in the tank which finally seems to be balanced for my tank...

Anyway, good luck with your tank, and hopefully you dont give up ;)
Nope, I just have a lot of bulbs since I wanted my fixture to extend the length of my tank. I my last program was/is 6 bulbs for an hour and followed by only 4 bulbs for 2 hours. 2 hours with moonlight for looks at night. I also have had many other combinations as well.

My tanks is a little deeper so had to consider that as well. I think I'll focus on the tenants and not so much plant decor. Maybe a try a small tank and strictly focus on aquascaping one day...i do like that, just not now. Need to get this little monster beefed up.

Last edited:

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Yeah, I figured green algae was something I'd accept going with the river rock...i actually don't mind that...gives it the aged natural look,imo. But that brown long stuff hanging off the dying plants was a no-no. Those Aubias were relatively slow growers too. Favorite were the petite bonsais'.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store