Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

I HATE to Cull Fish!! What would you do?

Discussion in 'Central and South American Cichlids' started by balton777, Feb 4, 2008.

?

What would you do with a deformed growout??

Poll closed Feb 7, 2008.
    1. Keep it. Give it a good home and treat it to the good life.

43.8%
    2. Be responsible and cull it.

28.1%
    3. Sell or give it to the LFS.

7.8%
    4. Sell or give it to another hobbyist if there is a taker.

14.1%
    5. Grow it out really big and have a fish fry.

1.6%
    6. Chop it up for the other hungry fish to eat.

10.9%
    7. Give the fish to a neighborhood cat.

3.1%
    8. Mail the deformed body back to the original seller and ask for credit.

9.4%
    Multiple votes are allowed.
    1. balton777

balton777 MFK Members

Mar 11, 2013
      When I buy baby fish I always get several to start with. My last order from TUIC included 4 Vieja Argentea's and it turns out one is deformed. His body is growing to very odd proportions and his dorsal fin is growing way to one side, not down the middle of the back like normal. These fish are normally destroyed by responsible breeders but I hate killing fish, even deformed ones. If it was your fish, what would you do?

1. Keep the fish, give it a good home and treat it to a good life.
      2. Be responsible to the hobby and cull the fish.
      3. See if your LFS wants to buy it or take it for free.
      4. Sell or give it to another hobbyist.
      5. Grow it out and eat it.
      6. Chop it up and feed it to the other fish.
      7. Give it to a neighborhood cat.
      8. Mail the deformed body back to the original seller.

2. Red Devil

Red Devil Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
      Staff Member

Yesterday at 5:46 AM
      i cannot help it but i never cull the fish..i just do not breed them.. i let them live out their life with me.. i had one angel that had a dented in head..like a crater .. he was an eyesore for sure.. but he was a happy fish with me until he passed away after 8 years..so if that happens to me..i find it merely a trivial aspect in fishkeeping.. and they are not culled. The only time i cull is if i think they are suffering from their deformity..such if they cannot eat much and start wasting away..just me! i would though send pictures to the original seller and try to get a replacement for your aggrivation and that he sold you something inferior.

3. ShadowStryder

ShadowStryder MFK Members

Today at 5:07 PM
      I too don't like to cull fish but do so when necessary. If you are willing to dedicate a tank and time then you should do what you feel is right.
      I personally would cull a fish with those deformities.
      I picked up 3 Argentea from the same batch, I only have two left. One definite male killed what I believe was my only female.
      As for as a replacement, I doubt this seller is replacing anything.

4. Steve p

Steve p MFK Members

Jul 18, 2008
      Hmm i was thinking about number 5 but then if it was me i think i would cull it then chop it up and feed it to my other fish as long as you have quarantined it. No point in wasting good food.

Flame away Steve.

5. balton777

balton777 MFK Members

Mar 11, 2013

I know you're right no matter how awful it sounds. It's weird how my mind works, if I caught a 4" fish from a lake, I would have no problem whatsoever chopping it up for bait or something but when it's a pet, it's completely different lol.

I wonder if my 14" Weeksi in another tank can eat it whole....or maybe Liz will take it off my hands. :naughty:

6. ---XR---

---XR--- MFK Members

Oct 24, 2014
      you spent money on them, you may aswell gorw them out, depending on the deformety it may go away with time and size if properly kept.

7. ScullCraca

ScullCraca MFK Members

Jun 16, 2009
      If you have the room I would keep it and give it as good of a quality life that you can.

8. ---XR---

---XR--- MFK Members

Oct 24, 2014
      do you have pics of the deformed fish?, by the sounds of it it doesn't sound like anything that can't be fixed with time.

if not sell them to neo, he loves his deformed fish.

9. Red Devil

Red Devil Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
      Staff Member

Yesterday at 5:46 AM
      i would if we lived closer.. that would not bother me..what is one more mouth to feed:grinno:Also i look at it this way..he survived to this point.. i have special empathy towards survivors..

10. balton777

balton777 MFK Members

Mar 11, 2013

That's the point of buying multiples in the first place. I buy several and keep the best of the bunch. I don't have room for 4 Argentea's. 3 of them have to go soon...I can only keep one and it won't be the deformed weird looking one. :( Really I just didn't know if I should cull it or try to get my lfs to take it because it's not in misery and I know there's always someone who likes to take an underdog or runt and give it a good home.