I have free swimming Convict fry

cjam93

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2015
Hey guys so I am breeding cons for feeders. Today the fry became free swimming. I was wondering how long I should give them before I move them out of the 20g with their parents into a 10g to grow them out. Also I have Hikari First Bites and Frozen Baby Brine Shrimp. When do I start feeding them these? Should I feed these while they are with the parents, or just wait until I separate them and allow the parents to feed them until then? thanks!

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
They'll need the little food now. Convicts are really hardy fish, so they will do well whether you keep them with parents or not, at this stage. The issue you will have now is maintaining water quality. If you want the fry to grow fast, you'll want to make sure they are well fed (feeding 2-4 times a day). But then your water will require many changes.

If your goal is to maximize the spawn size -- I'd recommend that you separate the spawn.

If you want to maintain the fish in the current tank, they'll do fine (as long as their aren't any fast swimming other fish around and the parents have a good way to protect the fry). You'll end up with a few babies.

Either way ... you need to watch the water quality.

Good luck! Share some pics with us!!!! Convicts in breeding colors are awesome!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Not only will the parents protect the fry from other fish, lol they will attack your hand if you stick it in the aquarium. Great parents like yankeejack stated.:)

Reactions: evander508

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Its important that you start feeDing them once they start free swimming.
If you have a cycle sponge filter, java moss with some Detritus in it, or Decoration with biofilm or algae on it, the fry will have a munch on the little bits of algae anD Detritus they finD.
Convicts usually make amazing parents so you really Dont neeD to seperate the fry until the parents start to spawn again or the parents start picking on the fry.
They are too small for for the brine shrimp atm, but the first bites will work great. What I Do is I make a mixture of DecapsulateD brine, nls fry formula, spirulina, axsthanxin powDer, anD DrieD krill, throw it in a coffee grinDer, mix it with some water, anD gently shoot the mixture at the fry with a turkey baster.
Works like a charm!
Once the fry are about a month or less DepenDing on how fast yours grow, they are reaDy to eat flakes anD brine shrimp
GooD luck!

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store