Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details
      Dismiss Notice

I need tips on freezing and storing beef liver.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Diseases and Health Issues' started by Wulfonce, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Wulfonce

Wulfonce MFK Members

Oct 8, 2013
      I started feeding my Oscars beef liver in addition to there normal diet of pellets. At $0.72 a pound, you cant go wrong! :thumbsup:

What I've been doing is cutting the liver into cubes and freezing it. I take a piece of wax paper, spoon on a small pile of liver, then fold the paper over top of the pile. I pile more on top, then fold back the other way. The end result kinda looks like an accordion, the liver sandwiched in between each layer. I thought It was a brilliant idea at the time, I was even really proud of myself for thinking that up. lol :grinno:

FAIL!

I found out that the paper sticks to the liver so strongly (when frozen) that every time I remove a pile some of the paper rips off and sticks to the liver. Then once its thawed I have to waste time picking out all the paper bits. Is there a method that you guys use that I may be overlooking? I cant really freeze individual piles on a baking sheet, then bag them, cause I don't have the room or the time. I have another 10lbs of liver sitting on the counter waiting to be cut up.

Any suggestions?

2. petspoiler

petspoiler MFK Members

heyGranny
      Yesterday at 1:06 PM
      I wouldn't feed them beef liver. 10lbs seems like you're using that for the main staple of their diet. not good.

3. Wulfonce

Wulfonce MFK Members

Oct 8, 2013
      I feed them liver every other day, is that to often? On the off days they get cichlid pellets. 1lb of liver lasts about a month to a month and a half, between 4 Oscars. 11", 10", 7", 6", and two 5" feeder comets. I'm hoping the 10lbs will last a year.

I cut them into 1cm cubes. The 2 bigger Oscars will eat about 4 pieces each, smaller Oscars eat about 2.

4. duanes

duanes MFK Members

Today at 1:16 PM
      Fish have a hard time digesting mammal animal fat, it can adversely effect a fishes liver. Oscars are omnivores, you'd be better off feeding thawed, de-shelled peas every other day. An occasional crawfish, worms from the bait shop and insects are much better sources of protein.

5. Harleydiva

Harleydiva MFK Members

Aug 29, 2012
      I use an ice cube tray then dump it in a ziplock once it's frozen but it should b a very rare treat not a staple food I give it like 2 x a month

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

6. Oddball

Oddball Administrator
      Staff Member

If there's BBQ, I'll answer to any name
      45 minutes ago
      If cubed before the 'use by' date, liver can be stored frozen, at conventional temperatures, for 2 months for maximum flavor. 3-4 months is still safe to use. Can be frozen at zero degrees F indefinitely.

I partly freeze liver before cubing it since it's easier to handle with a bit of cold rigidity. I place the cut pieces in mini ice trays and freeze them. Once frozen, I loosen the cubes from the trays and add water until all of the cubed pieces are covered. This is called 'green freezing'. It keeps air from directly contacting the frozen product and prevents freezer burn. After freezing completely again, I can place the cubes into freezer zip-loc bags and take out what I need to thaw out and feed.

This method works great with beef/chicken hearts too.

7. Wulfonce

Wulfonce MFK Members

Oct 8, 2013
      Having done more research on it (not that I didn't believe you guys) I've decided that I've got to figure out a better feeding plan. I'd like to use some kind of vegetable since there inexpensive. Frozen peas would be my first choice. I hear they need to be de-shelled? Does that mean taking them out of the pod or taking off the outside layer of the pea itself? If its the 2nd one, is there a quick way of doing this?

What other vegetables could be used? Lettuce? green beans? boiled carrots?

8. duanes

duanes MFK Members

Today at 1:16 PM
      I thaw the peas for a few moments in tank water, and squeeze the individual pea out of the shell (I do not mean pod).
      Some fish will eat it with the shell, but then the shell comes out nearly whole in the feces, and needs to vacuumed out later.

9. Harleydiva

Harleydiva MFK Members

Aug 29, 2012
      Romaine lettuce is a favorite and yup u gotta take the coating off of the little pea I tried smashing them but FYI makes a huge mess in ur tank

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app