I was just wondering....?

callmestill

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
franklin park IL
So I know ALLOT of people buy red tail cats I see them all the time as babies in fish stores. Most of these people will have 75 gal tanks maybe 125's. And within a year they're already too big. I'll see a few here and there posted on Craigslist, or on this site for sale but there's way more out there.
What happens to the rest of them I know it's gotta be in the thousands?
Do ppl throw them in some river?
Cook them up?
Anybody have any theories?

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Lol they go to fish heaven I'm sure most die within the tanks. The rest probably get thrown at lakes or ponds the Giants. Die In the winter in the Midwest

Reactions: ehh

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Agreed,I suspect that a large number of them die off long before space is even an issue and some of those that do make it to a decent size are probably turned loose. They are very eye catching when they are but a few inches in length and they seem to be cheaper and cheaper every time I see them at a shop.....two things that make them attractive to the less informed customer.

typicalalex1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2011
England, Kent
I'd say a large percentage die due to poor care. Anyone who knows anything about fish knows to stay away from RTC unless they have a monster tank or heated pond.
Which means idiots and inexperienced keepers buy the majority of them and don't know how to look after them.
When it comes it re homing, a very small percentage will be sold to people who have the space for one, a very small percentage will be donated to a public aquarium / zoo and a large percentage will be sold to another idiot who think they have the room to keep one and the cycle starts all over again.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
A friend of mine is the zoo keeper in the fish house of a local zoo, says that almost every week he gets offers of red tail cats, and pacus and can't take them. The zoo already has more than they need in a 10,000 gal tank.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
as stated the majority don't make it past 8-10" due to poor care/inexperienced owners. The large ones that do make it past that foot mark generally get cramped into small tanks for a shortened life or craigslisted for months on end until they pass away or the owner euthanizes/releases them to their fate. Zoo's in my area won't take any large cats unless they are rare. The PPG aquarium in Pittsburgh has an Amazonian display with roughly 8 BIG rtc's in it. I mean the 4-5' range big, alongside another famously overbought fish, the pacu which are the size of manhole covers in their display.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I've ever only seen a fish store have baby RTC's for sale @$30 one time.

I learned my lesson with a Niger cat back in the early 90's. I've never owned a RTC or Pacu. I have no desire to either.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
One shop I frequent has had a tank full of three inch RTCs for under thirty bucks each.
I must admit to buying a young red tail years ago but I was very new in the hobby and the internet had not even taken hold yet.My biggest tank at that time was a massive thirty gallon tank that my grandmother thought was taking up too much space in my bedroom and was going to fall through the floor.

Reactions: piranhaman00

moray eel man

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2016
Michigan
So I know ALLOT of people buy red tail cats I see them all the time as babies in fish stores. Most of these people will have 75 gal tanks maybe 125's. And within a year they're already too big. I'll see a few here and there posted on Craigslist, or on this site for sale but there's way more out there.
What happens to the rest of them I know it's gotta be in the thousands?
Do ppl throw them in some river?
Cook them up?
Anybody have any theories?

My mom had some for years in a 30 gallon and they stayed small so im guessing as long as you dont put them in a bigger tank they will stay small

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
My mom had some for years in a 30 gallon and they stayed small so im guessing as long as you dont put them in a bigger tank they will stay small
Classic example of stunting,did she do any water changes?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store