Ice fishing season for me.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I live 30 minutes away from Eelpout Fest and always attending there every year. They have great fried pout nuggets and it was delicious. Eelpout is more predatory, much like walleye or perch. Someone caught a 14lbs eelpout this year.

Reactions: Frank Castle

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
That's a nice haul of fish there OP. Were you taking them all off lures, or some off bait as well?
Different baits. Crappies were on red spikes (or maggots), pike on suckers, walleyes on minnow heads and perch on waxies. To be fair I was catch them on different days but in same month lol

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Different baits. Crappies were on red spikes (or maggots), pike on suckers, walleyes on minnow heads and perch on waxies. To be fair I was catch them on different days but in same month lol
Where the HECK are you getting live suckers this time of year????

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
We got them from bait store, they always sell them all year.
WOW, I wish WE had bait stores that had suckers for sale...........

.......I wish our LBS sold more baitfish than Bass/Pike shiners and fathead/rosies

Do you have any IDEA how much time I spend catching baitfish when I go Flathead/Pike/Musky/Striper fishing?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA

.......I wish our LBS sold more baitfish than Bass/Pike shiners and fathead/rosies

Do you have any IDEA how much time I spend catching baitfish when I go Flathead/Pike/Musky/Striper fishing?
Just go catch some Sunfish, they're a great predator bait. I've also noticed that Northerns like Perch as much as we do :).

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Just go catch some Sunfish, they're a great predator bait. I've also noticed that Northerns like Perch as much as we do :).
NOTHING works as good as creek chubs and suckers. I'd rather Pike shiners than sunfish. Just my preference, wider variety of targets, less spines on the baitfish.....easy to swallow most importantly

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Nice catches. I only got out ice fishing once this season, and that was last weekend. Couple of pickerel. The older I get the more I mind the cold.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
We cannot use gamefish as bait due to MN regulations, but I've found that sunfish makes great bait for big bass. As for pike, they preferred shiners over perch.

Reactions: Frank Castle

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole

If our LBS didn't have any big baitfish, we always hit up the feeder creeks where the big chubs at or a small inlet/outlet where we will catching some giant shiners.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store