Ich after bringing home feeder fish/ghost shrimp/lobster

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
There could be ich, but I’m also seeing a bacterial issue in play. Bacterial infections often pop up as a result of the damage left by ich infections.
I would treat with kanaplex and see if that helps.

Texas1203

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2021
Texas
There could be ich, but I’m also seeing a bacterial issue in play. Bacterial infections often pop up as a result of the damage left by ich infections.
I would treat with kanaplex and see if that helps.
I am not sure if he is going to make it to treat with something else. I was sure he was dead 😵 this morning. He is still breathing. I am just shocked that no other fish seem to have been bothered by the ich. I will look into the meds mentioned above, but I think Leo is a goner, I am so sad, I have had him for a very long time.

IMG_7620.jpeg

IMG_7621.jpeg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
It’s possible he’s reacting poorly to the meds - either the formaldehyde content or the malachite green. I know I lost a raph due to polyguard treatment (malachite green sensitivity). I don’t know if any anabantiformes are sensitive to these meds, but try getting him into fresh water immediately.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Texas1203

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2021
Texas
It’s possible he’s reacting poorly to the meds - either the formaldehyde content or the malachite green. I know I lost a raph due to polyguard treatment (malachite green sensitivity). I don’t know if any anabantiformes are sensitive to these meds, but try getting him into fresh water immediately.
I have treated the tank with the same ich meds I am currently using….the meds did kill my elephant nose (who was huge when I finally pulled it out, didn’t realize how big it had actually gotten). Leo did fine then. I am so devastated! I had Leo since he was inch and its been about 3 years total I have had him. I will say the lobster is having the time of his life with Leo being out of commission…. It is all over the place now, probably waiting for Leo to die to have a nice snack. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Texas1203

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2021
Texas
I have treated the tank with the same ich meds I am currently using….the meds did kill my elephant nose (who was huge when I finally pulled it out, didn’t realize how big it had actually gotten). Leo did fine then. I am so devastated! I had Leo since he was inch and its been about 3 years total I have had him. I will say the lobster is having the time of his life with Leo being out of commission…. It is all over the place now, probably waiting for Leo to die to have a nice snack. 🤷🏻‍♀️
EDIT: it was brought to my attention that I actually got Leo in 2019 …. So he was 5 years old… I did not realize I had him this long. I suppose it does help with the loss, knowing at least for 5 years he had it made in 75 gal.

• Sad
Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Ctenopoma have a life span of 5 to 10 years. So the 5 years you had it is a pretty good run.
Who knows how old it was when you got it?
And the life span has a lot to do with water parameters.
They prefer pH of 7 and below and almost no mineral content or hardness.
So certain metal based meds are not tolerated well.
It hard to tell by the photos, but the disease may not have been ick at all, but could have been a condition called Epistylis, which is aggravated (made worse) with a rise in water temps.

Last edited:

Texas1203

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2021
Texas
Ctenopoma have a life span of 5 to 10 years. So the 5 years you had it is a pretty good run.
Who knows how old it was when you got it?
And the life span has a lot to do with water parameters.
They prefer pH of 7 and below and almost no mineral content or hardness.
So certain metal based meds are not tolerated well.
It hard to tell by the photos, but the disease may not have been ick at all, by could have been a condition called Epistylis, which is aggravated (made worse) with a rise in water temps.
I am so glad you mentioned this! After reading this reply, I did an online search, and it is very possible that ich is not the culprit. However, I did another 1/3 water change today and treated with more ich x. I am now looking into a few medications that will treat Epistylis. I have noticed ONE white spot on a pearl gourami’s fin. It is in one of the side fins (sorry don’t know technical terminology), it is hard to get a good look at, since these fins are constantly moving. This particular pearl, after examining very closely, does appear to have an extremely mild fin tear(s) on its tail fin. After researching, you can treat for both at the same time… i think I will wait until the end of week one with ich x… if nothing improves, or if conditions worsen, I will begin treating for the other disease.
On a brighter note, Zoidberg (snow white lobster) is doing great. He is very mobile now that Leo is gone and miraculously a ghost shrimp has survived! Saw him on top of a rock this morning happily eating algae.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store