Ich ehhhh!

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
I personally do not recommend using methylene blue on the main tank. It can wreck your biological filtration. Salt and heat will do the trick, but it can take a couple of days for the parasites on the fish to drop off. They are not susceptible to treatment when they are on the fish. Once they drop off the fish they fall to the bottom and produce babies. Then the adult parasite ruptures, sending the babies ("tomites" I believe) into the water, looking for a new host fish. That is when they are vulnerable to medication.

Formalin or formalin/malachite green work well if you want to hit the infection from another angle. Formalin can be purchased under the product name "Formalin MS". Products that also have malachite green include Rid-Ich and QuickCure. Seachem Paraguard will probably do the trick too. It has malachite green and some aldehyde that isn't formaldehyde.

A word of caution regarding formalin and malachite green: they are NASTY carcinogens. Try not to get any on you. Malachite green will also stain your clothes or pretty much anything it touches. Formalin will evaporate into the air (I don't think malachite green does) but it shouldn't be enough to bother or hurt you in any noticeable way. Just keep the room ventilated if it's a tight space.

Reactions: bandicoot

bandicoot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2016
Benson, AZ
Wanted to give you all an update... The heat and salt treatment was a massive success! My tank is so healthy now and I have baby fish on the way. All of my female live breeders are pregnant. My zombie sailfin molly is is looking wonderful and is back to normal. My blue graumi is doing well her fins were looking very bad but they have all grown back but she is blind now. She is eating very well and has gained weight. She has a guardian angel now... A blood parrot juvenile. They are inseparable. Any where the gaurmi gos, the blood parrot follows, and seems to guard her while grazing or swimming. If any other fish get to close the BP will display and chase them off. Maybe I'm looking to much in to it, but I think there is something there between them.

Thank you all so much. You all have been wonderful and helpful! I don't think my tank would be as healthy and beautiful if it was not for your help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store