id plese

agra113

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2015
This fish was caught from a lake in sri lanka. Even the aquarium owner dosent know the name of this fish. Can any one plese id this fish.

FB_IMG_1472097576521.jpg

FB_IMG_1472097579768.jpg

FB_IMG_1472097583549.jpg

FB_IMG_1472097586869.jpg

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Well....if it was wild caught and it wasn't released into the wild by a fish keeper....there is no way it can be a Myan cichlid as they are native to Central and South America. It also does not have that (eye,dot) on its tail.....I am stumped.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Looks like a uropthalmus that has either escaped some ones private pond, or was intentionally released, probably because is was too aggressive for someones small tank, and/or got too big.
Central American species are being found all over tropical areas of Asia these days, just as Tilapines are found all over the new world from Florida to Argentina.
I went to a lake here in Panama the other day that was filled with Tilapia, and it is not uncommon.
And people wonder why countries are banning fish species. All it takes is a moron, or a semi extreme weather event.

above is the lake in Panama, and all those fish are Tilapia.
Below a shot of uropthalmus in Florida

and below another pond in Florida, filled with Oscars

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
Well....if it was wild caught and it wasn't released into the wild by a fish keeper....there is no way it can be a Myan cichlid as they are native to Central and South America. It also does not have that (eye,dot) on its tail.....I am stumped.
This fish is a urophthalmus. No idea how it got there but that's what it is. And Mayan cichlids do have the eye dot. that's one of the distinguishing characteristics between urophthalmus and festae...uro's have a large eye spot centered in the base of the tail that covers almost that entire base whereas festae has a much smaller eye spot that is located on the upper portion of the tail base.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
And Mayan cichlids do have the eye dot. that's one of the distinguishing characteristics between urophthalmus and festae...
I know that myan cichlids have that eye dot. I am not ignorant when it comes to cichlids. I was not saying they didnt have the take take eye spot. I was only stating that the fish displayed in the picture did not have that eye dot which you would normally expect in a myan. And I know it is urophthalmus I just was going with the OPs story....he says it was wild caught. I just stated the obvious that It had to have been released by someone because the fish is not native to the area.

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
I know that myan cichlids have that eye dot. I am not ignorant when it comes to cichlids. I was not saying they didnt have the take take eye spot. I was only stating that the fish displayed in the picture did not have that eye dot which you would normally expect in a myan. And I know it is urophthalmus I just was going with the OPs story....he says it was wild caught. I just stated the obvious that It had to have been released by someone because the fish is not native to the area.
fair enough. your previous post was worded in such a way that it was easy to misinterpret. I never meant to imply that you were ignorant. I was simply correcting what I interpreted to be an incorrect statement.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
fair enough. your previous post was worded in such a way that it was easy to misinterpret. I never meant to imply that you were ignorant. I was simply correcting what I interpreted to be an incorrect statement.

No worries.....i do understand it was worded very weird

Reactions: Jason_S
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store