ID sharks theories?

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
To weigh in on the thread requires some confession on my part.

Eight years ago my school of balas died in a tank crash and I foolishly bought a trio of ID sharks to replace them in my 150.

Two died fairly soon thereafter but the third lived in the 150 for six years and never exceeded four or five inches.

Two years ago I upgraded to a 450 and he hit a growth spurt and grew another five inches in a year. This past year he has only grown an inch or so.

I appear to have gotten lucky and have a runt.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
To weigh in on the thread requires some confession on my part.

Eight years ago my school of balas died in a tank crash and I foolishly bought a trio of ID sharks to replace them in my 150.

Two died fairly soon thereafter but the third lived in the 150 for six years and never exceeded four or five inches.

Two years ago I upgraded to a 450 and he hit a growth spurt and grew another five inches in a year. This past year he has only grown an inch or so.

I appear to have gotten lucky and have a runt.

They are great fish, I wish it was possible to pick out the ones that will not get large!

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
i have some questions to ask about ID sharks. as most of you know, they get very large. but then there are the ones that stay very small and there appears to be a large gap in sizes. for instance, i know a restaurant owner who has 6 ID sharks that he has had for 11 years and they are 9-11 inches in a 100(5' x 18" x 20") tank. he also said he had two that grew faster than the rest that had to be given away. also, the owner of a LFS told me that one of his customers tried to return a 42" ID shark that outgrew his 180G tank!!! so why is it that some ID sharks get very large and some that stay small? i've heard a theory saying that there are many species that are all actually referred to as ID sharks but are in-fact different species from the same area that have a large array of sizes. Does any one know this to be true? (at least if my writing is legible lol)
pang.jpg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I spotted some interesting looking little pangasius sharks today while at the pet shop.They did not look like Iridescent sharks,parroon,or black eared sharks.I may pick one up and see what it grows out to be.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
I spotted some interesting looking little pangasius sharks today while at the pet shop.They did not look like Iridescent sharks,parroon,or black eared sharks.I may pick one up and see what it grows out to be.
\
The only real difference I have seen is the end size, let us know how this turns out! Any pics?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
\
The only real difference I have seen is the end size, let us know how this turns out! Any pics?
No,didnt bother since they were moving around non stop.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store