ID THIS RAY....

downset21

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2005
Quincy, MA
i dont know what that is, but it look like a cross between a motoro and a retic... but i am definitely no expert. just an observation

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
cartersvillealex;581962; said:
Does anyone have any experience with mantillas? It seems like everyone has an opinion on if they are a unique species or a variant of something else?
I believe they are a Motoro variant. Very hardy, no ones sure of maximum size. I would assume 20-24"..

They are unique to some, but most Exporters sell these 'brown' rays at a very low rate, cheaper than Motoros often times. Usually the Importer will put a price tag on it for it's unique pattern, because the fisherman in the Amazon see hundreds upon hundreds of brown morph rays. I think they are uncommon enough to be considered rare, and I really appreciate the pattern. Not to mention the potential of what they could grow into.

There are a ton of Motoro morphs out of Peru, Ecuador, and Venezuala.. It could be from cross-breeding and interbreeding. The species will continue to evolve due to the rainy seasons in which a ray could travel a long distance over the amazon basin, and become isolated in new river systems with different species.

There is not alot of classifcation on these guys, and species names are often referred as the 'local' exporter name... Each exporter might call it something else, and often times the Importer will rename it.

Care is the same for this ray as is any other, expect it to get large.

Good Luck!

cartersvillealex

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2006
morgantown, wv
Thanks, I appreaciate the response. I was look at Frank's page and he kind of implies it is a unique species, but comparing the overall body shape, tail shape and appearance, it does closely resemble my motoros. The tail even has similar patters, though the body patterns are quite different. I wonder if it bred with a regular spotted motoro if you would get more mantilla and motoro pups, or a patter somewhere in the middle?

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
cartersvillealex;582281; said:
. I wonder if it bred with a regular spotted motoro if you would get more mantilla and motoro pups, or a patter somewhere in the middle?
I'm not sure.. Maybe look something like this?

Credit to the owner of these Motoros ;)

CrazyMotoros.jpg

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Miles;581525; said:
They call them 'Mantilla' Morphs out of Columbia I believe? I could be wrong..
actually you are totally incorrect,

Mantilla is a common name for a unique ray that comes out Brazil.. definitely different than those asian hybrids.. stays smaller, if you saw one in person you would know.. get an aqualog and study hard lol

csx4236

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
USA
Miles;1361014; said:
actually you are totally incorrect,

Mantilla is a common name for a unique ray that comes out Brazil.. definitely different than those asian hybrids.. stays smaller, if you saw one in person you would know.. get an aqualog and study hard lol
HA HA this is getting way to funny YOU ARE INCORRECT lol can you find any older posts miles?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store