IDEAS Amazon river ecosystem pond

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Interesting. Thank you for this. This goes against the norm as we know and understand it. So these cases you describe with the RB piranha and the pacu might be exceptions or there could have been something that requires further clarification and thinking.

Groundwater temps in MA are between 48F and 54F. So in winters, even the deepest of ponds and lakes are unlikely to provide quick and efficient enough geothermal heating to keep the water even at 50F.

One exception might include sources of warmer waters, for instance from warm springs (IDK if there are such in MA) or from power stations discharges of water.

People here in Florida are able to keep pacu in ponds with the help of pumping lots of well water into their ponds in cold spells / snaps but our groundwater temps in southern FL are 70-75F. If they don't do it, pacu and other tropical monster fish they keep die.

Our own experiment with pacu was in a shallow (3ft) 30,000 gal pond outdoors where pacu died when the water seasonally cooled to about 60-55F.

rbwno1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2008
florida
youtube.com
We’ll I used too keep red belly piranhas for two years and I grew them up in a 60 gallon and pretty much never had a heater on the tank and found my tank was dropping down too 55 degrees and they would still eat at that temperature but usually be more calm and huddle up together which is crazy for a fish that lives all the way in South America but I tested out a theory in my head they can withstand temperatures as low as 52 degrees and if it’s a deep lake in Massachusetts they can easily become an invasive species as long as there food like blue gill even bass catfish etc they can pretty much tolerate the winter’s up here and pacu I found one day when I was fishing in New Bedford Massachusetts in a lake and oddly cought a fish with human like teeth and found out there pacu in this lake and I was fishing in march looking for some chain pickerel while I was fishing but found out they are invasive up here only in that lake that I know of but yea
I know I piranhas are tropical but remember that as you get further south in South America you start to get cooler temps. Maybe pacus have a very southernly range.

A usda website stated they c a n tolerate Temps down to 62F. Wikipedia states they are subtropical to tropical climates.

Last edited by a moderator:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store