I'm confused??

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Okay I've seen baby turtles for sale under the 4" mark but read that you can't sell or buy them if it's under 4". It says only for educational research so I'm confused. So what's is it?

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
It's not enforced very strictly. A lot of times in the ads they'll say "all turtles under 4 inches are for educational, research, or display purposes only" but when you order a turtle they don't even bring it up. Pet stores will also put up signs that say the same thing but again don't even mention it when you buy a turtle. But I've heard they've been cracking down on it a little more lately.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
^Yep,the small turtles are not to be bought as pets.It's due to salmonella concerns as I understand it with the thinking that the small turtles appeal to young children who may not properly care for the turtles thus possibly making way for infection from the disease.

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I just saw a post on Craigslist selling some red ear sliders for $20 n get 1 free. But it said for educational purposes. To me that's still selling. So would it be considered breaking the law if it was given away?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
^Yep,the small turtles are not to be bought as pets.It's due to salmonella concerns as I understand it with the thinking that the small turtles appeal to young children who may not properly care for the turtles thus possibly making way for infection from the disease.
This. I remember back in the day I wanted RES so bad, and I wasn't allowed to buy them for that exact reason. It was a human age restriction back then, not the turtle size restriction it is now.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
This. I remember back in the day I wanted RES so bad, and I wasn't allowed to buy them for that exact reason. It was a human age restriction back then, not the turtle size restriction it is now.
Oddly,and sadly there are people who walk around here selling the little hatchlings.I am not sure where they get them from but I have been seeing them the past few summers with the hapless hatchlings in little plastic containers.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Oddly,and sadly there are people who walk around here selling the little hatchlings.I am not sure where they get them from but I have been seeing them the past few summers with the hapless hatchlings in little plastic containers.
I feel like that HAS to be illegal in our state.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I feel like that HAS to be illegal in our state.
Oh yeah it has to be but no one seems to want to be bothered with it.I once spotted a guy with a cart that had about twenty turtles in the little containers and he was trying to sell them for ten bucks each.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store