I'm lost....

OmnipotentOscar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
So, I have decided to take the leap and switch from plastic to real plants, but the switch was much harder than I anticipated. This tank will have a bichir, a low light fish. The problem is I don't know how to differ low from high in lumens and forget about the light penetration. If I wanted to plant my whole aquarium with "low lights plants" what would be the best way to go about It and what would be the best plants to put in? Thanks in advance... :p

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I can't help with the lighting problem, but some nice low light plants are the anubias varieties - there's lots of them, with leaves of all different shapes and sizes, I actually brought a new kind (for me anyway) today with the tiniest leaves I've ever seen in my life! Java fern - again, there are lots of different varieties of this, each more unique looking than the last. And bolbitis (the African kind) grows okay under low light as well... Hopefully someone else can chime in and help you with your lighting problem. :)

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I can't help with the lighting problem, but some nice low light plants are the anubias varieties - there's lots of them, with leaves of all different shapes and sizes, I actually brought a new kind (for me anyway) today with the tiniest leaves I've ever seen in my life! Java fern - again, there are lots of different varieties of this, each more unique looking than the last. And bolbitis (the African kind) grows okay under low light as well... Hopefully someone else can chime in and help you with your lighting problem. :)

I personally have a few species of anubias, and java fern growing with the basic light.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I personally have a few species of anubias, and java fern growing with the basic light.
I currently have four anubias varieties with leaf sizes ranging from the size of my palm to the size of my pinkie nail, one "trident" (as i was told its called) variety of java fern and bolbitis in my tank and all are - should I say were - doing alright until the algae took over, and I have the worst lighting available, 2 t12 fluorescent tubes that were purchased from the hardware store.. These plants are tough as nails!

To the OP, if you do get any of these plants make sure the rhizome isn't buried in the substrate or it will rot, all of them can be attached to rocks and wood (that's how mine are currently) but can be placed in the substrate, just make sure the rhizome isn't! :)

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I currently have four anubias varieties with leaf sizes ranging from the size of my palm to the size of my pinkie nail, one "trident" (as i was told its called) variety of java fern and bolbitis in my tank and all are - should I say were - doing alright until the algae took over, and I have the worst lighting available, 2 t12 fluorescent tubes that were purchased from the hardware store.. These plants are tough as nails!

To the OP, if you do get any of these plants make sure the rhizome isn't buried in the substrate or it will rot, all of them can be attached to rocks and wood (that's how mine are currently) but can be placed in the substrate, just make sure the rhizome isn't! :)
lol your absolutely right they are tough as nails.:)

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
My gar tank was planted with water wisteria some hair grass and hornwort and would be considereal a low light tank. At 72" long and 27" deep and 2ft wide I had 4 40 watt t8 6500k bulbs over it but they did the trick

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store