I'm Thinking About An Alligator Snapping Turtle

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
I saw a bunch of Alligator Snapping Turtle hatchlings. I know they get pretty big and are very aggressive capable of inflicting serious injuries.

Can they be tamed? Should I just drop this idea?

Been thinking if I should go for it.

clifton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2008
PA.
I saw a bunch of Alligator Snapping Turtle hatchlings. I know they get pretty big and are very aggressive capable of inflicting serious injuries.

Can they be tamed? Should I just drop this idea?

Been thinking if I should go for it.
I have one, purchased nine years ago as a hatchling. Now it's about the size of a 1950's desk telephone (shell size). Mine was very slow growing till I raised the tank temp up to the low 80's, then he became just plain slow growing. A common snapper would be full grown by now. An alligator snapper has a couple centuries of growth ahead of it and is in no hurry. Feisty and unforgiving bite from the time he was a few months old. I have no trouble carefully approaching him from behind to pick him up, staying out of the range of his rather short neck. He'd initially only take minnows or guppies swimming by, and ignored even recently dead fish, but in the last 18 months that's changed. He'll now eat worms, dead fish, chicken, clams and mice. I'm already a nine fingered man (from an unrelated accident), but I'd hate to lose any more due to inattention with this critter. Future plans are to return him to John Richards' Loggerhead Acres in Missouri to be returned to his breeding stock or possible repatriation to a bayou (they're 93+% depleted in the wild because they're so tasty). I'm enjoying the privilege of headstarting this foster monster, but will only place him responsibly to help ensure the continuation of this fascinating species. If you decide to get one, think it over. It's a long term commitment and there's no room for error.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store